Author Topic: 5.0x Orange Icon and Stopped Shields shows error.  (Read 4146 times)

Styx

5.0x Orange Icon and Stopped Shields shows error.
« on: February 21, 2010, 07:16:10 AM »
In 4.x you could stop Shields as you wished and the Icon remained the same.

With 5.0x if you stop a Shield the Orange Icon in Notification Tray shows a
warning mark or error.

I know the P2P and IM shields are off, I set them that way.

Is there a way to not show this as an error? Much prefer any error that is shown
to be something that the user did not set themselve.

Maybe a warning balloon that a Shield is off in the pointer is placed on the Icon.

However any error indicator to be something that Avast detected other than a
user setting.

psw

Re: 5.0x Orange Icon and Stopped Shields shows error.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 07:22:31 AM »
To not show stopped shields as an error you can uncheck the corresponding items P2P Shield and IM Shield in the Settings->Status Bar dialog.

Styx

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 07:35:00 AM »
To not show stopped shields as an error you can uncheck the corresponding items P2P Shield and IM Shield in the Settings->Status Bar dialog.

Where is that?

Thanks! I found it.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 07:43:02 AM by Styx »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 06:32:20 PM »
If you don't use the shields that you stopped, then rather than shoot the messenger, remove the shield completely. If you subsequently have a need for that shield, reverse the process.

Windows Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Change, uncheck the shield/s you don't use (take care not to remove an essential shield) and OK your way out.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hayc59

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 06:49:10 PM »
If you don't use the shields that you stopped, then rather than shoot the messenger, remove the shield completely. If you subsequently have a need for that shield, reverse the process.

Windows Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Change, uncheck the shield/s you don't use (take care not to remove an essential shield) and OK your way out.
Thanks for the great info DavidR

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 06:52:41 PM »
You're welcome, always best to resolve the problem than to resolve the message ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Styx

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 12:57:27 AM »

Maybe its just me however setting the Shield to Stop and then turning off the notification for those Shields seems
better. You are reminded that the Shields are Stopped and can easily turn them back on for even a short period
if needed. 

Would be great if the icon notifications and the Shield STOP or START could be accessed from each Shields's page.

Thanks for decribing the other method, nice to know there is another method.