Author Topic: Context Menu Scanning  (Read 4190 times)

sss

Context Menu Scanning
« on: February 24, 2010, 05:30:19 PM »
Just wanted to bring to your notice that if you tried context menu scanning immediately after installation nothing happens.
Avast doesn't scan anything via context menu scan until you reboot.
This may lead to security problems until you reboot as may end up thinking that every file scanned via right click is clean.
Earlier I thought that this case was limited to me only but later noticed another member who reported the same problem until reboot corrected it.
In fact I installed Avast twice due to this. On first attempt I thought that installation had gone wrong and uninstalled. The next day after second installation there was the same problem & I just decided to reboot & thus problem got solved.
One solution will be to make reboot necessary after installation but this must be corrected.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Context Menu Scanning
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 06:05:05 PM »
I really can't imagine why do they remove the boot option after the installation in such an important application like an antivirus... ::)
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 07:27:20 PM »
Just wanted to bring to your notice that if you tried context menu scanning immediately after installation nothing happens.
Avast doesn't scan anything via context menu scan until you reboot.
<snip>
One solution will be to make reboot necessary after installation but this must be corrected.

The reboot is necessary after installation and there is a notification to that effect, see image.

Note: The restart option is checked by default, I changed it so I could close down other applications myself before rebooting. Also read the notice about some components not working if you don't restart.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 07:30:15 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 02:19:53 AM »
The reboot is necessary after installation and there is a notification to that effect, see image.
Not all the times... A lot of users reported that this message is not shown and avast start "working"...
The best things in life are free.

sss

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 12:23:58 PM »
Yes, saw that image. I didn't get that message. I installed twice on win7.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 07:16:50 PM »
You probably don't have the problem simulated any more, right? (i.e. you have already rebooted after the installation).

Well, it would be very interesting to find out what the problem is (the issue doesn't reproduce here). I'd like to know whether if you open the avast UI and go to the Scan Now page you can actually start any of the scans there (at the moment the right-click scan is not working).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

sss

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 06:57:51 PM »
Hi Vlk, As I have already rebooted & right click scanning is working fine, I cant tell you if on-demand scan would work during that problem.

But if you want, I can uninstall the antivirus and reinstall, & see if I am asked to reboot. If there is no reboot offered, then context menu scanning should fail and on-demand scanning can be tested. That is too little an effort if it helps, in return for such great service & product offered by you people.

Anyway, I wrote the original message ignorant of the fact that reboot was the necessary requirement and thinking that avast antivirus is designed to fully function without reboot as it did not offer me any. But it turns out that it is fully functional only after the reboot which is offered as default option. This might be something rare as in my case. But if you want to find out you can simply ask users( may be by vote) and get to know what percentage of users were not offered reboot.

Hally

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 07:24:08 PM »
Hi Vlk  :)

I never tried to Right Click scan after installing - Avast 5  :-\

However!

When I Installed Avast 5 On My Laptop
1) Avast 5 Installed - & - Automatically Updated!
2) Waited for my laptops hard drive light to settle down.
3) Double Clicked the Desktop Icon to Open Avast 5 ... Avast 5 Didn't Open!  ???
Was Sure I'd Clicked Correctly! - But Too Scared To Try Again  :'(

So...
4) Restarted Laptop!
5) Waited for laptop to settle after the Restart.
6) Double Clicked the Desktop Icon to Open Avast 5 ... Avast 5 Did Open!  :D
7) Was then able to Register my - Avast 5  8)

When it came time to install Avast 5 on my Desktop computer... I just made sure I missed out number 3  ;D

NOTE: I also did Not get a Restart Computer notice at the end of my installation of - Avast 5

Think A Restart Notice Is Needed ;)