Author Topic: Avast5.ini  (Read 9170 times)

olddog

Avast5.ini
« on: February 23, 2010, 11:25:34 PM »
Is there a cap on the growth in size of Avast5.ini?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast5.ini
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 11:47:35 PM »
I haven't the slightest idea, but I would say that there is a realistic size limit that it wouldn't grow beyond. First you have all the default settings within the file, then if you make any changes to the UI that would impact on the ini file or make any manual changes to the ini file it would grow. Since it is a simple text file I believe that would still be very small.

Mine is a whole 12KB, I'm going to order a larger hard disk in case it grows ;D

In the greater scheme of things and huge hard disks the .ini files are minuscule, log files are more likely to grow.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 11:50:45 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

olddog

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 12:11:07 AM »
David,

The avast5.ini does grow considerably, depending on how many scans are done. I have ditched one that reached 180 KB. It started again after setting preferences at 8 KB and currently it has grown over 48 hours to 14 KB. As I said, it seems to depend on the number of scans being done, and perhaps having a screen saver scan on doesn't help.

I'm not the least concerned about the size of the file in so far as storage is concerned, it is more a matter of why it needs to keep adding to the content in the manner it is. Yes .ini files normally change a bit in size as configuration choices are changed, but not to the extent that this file does.

olddog

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 12:30:42 AM »
To be more specific about this, every time you do a single folder scan from the Explorer context menu, a new task entry is added into the Avast5.ini file (a single line near the top of the file)
At the end of the file the details of that task are added and the file size jumps by about 2KB.

For example, after a single context menu scan the following task details were added into the Avast5.ini

Task12={61500D17-2698-490F-A70A-328B7DC183F5}
{61500D17-2698-490F-A70A-328B7DC183F5}]
Label=*@1008
Comment=*@1009
Job=Scan
ScanAreas="C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes"
ScanTypes=AllFiles
ScanType=Content
ScanFullFiles=1
ScanIgnoreTargeting=0
ScanExclusions=
VirusAction=
SuspiciousAction=
PUPAction=
ScanPackers=All
Priority=2
ScanFor=Standard;Polymorphic;Macro
ScanResults=Infected;HardErrors;Excluded
StoreResults=1
Report=None
ReportName=*
ReportRecords=Start;Stop;Infected;HardErrors
OverwriteReport=0
NetAlert=
LocalizedLabel=0
SchedType=Weekly
SchedTime=0
SchedDays=127
SchedulerEnabled=0
DoNotStartOnBatteries=1
PauseOnBatteries=1
WakeUpMachine=0
ShutDownMachine=0
LastScanPath=
Deleted=0
TaskSensitivity=80
UseCodeEmulation=1
ScanPUP=0
PerformActionOnStartup=1
DefaultTask=1
SpecialTask=0
TemporaryTask=1
ActionOnPackedFile=onlyfile
TaskImage=menu
ConsultUsn=1
PopulateUsn=0
StoreLastScannedItem=0
AutomaticallyApplyActionsDuringScan=0

One could argue that this is a logging function that doesn't really belong in a configuration file, but I guess that depends on whether it is considered to be a configuration file.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 12:33:11 AM by olddog »

spg SCOTT

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 12:45:59 AM »
It should only contain the config data for the custom scans you have made. I don't know what is happening with you though

olddog

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 01:18:43 AM »
It should only contain the config data for the custom scans you have made. I don't know what is happening with you though

Are you saying that you are not getting the entries added into avast.ini on your installation, or that you think it should only contain configuration data

What version of Avast5 do you have?

Incidentally, the screen saver scan also add the same sort of entry described for the context menu scan in my earlier post.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:20:32 AM by olddog »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 01:22:48 AM »
David,

The avast5.ini does grow considerably, depending on how many scans are done. I have ditched one that reached 180 KB. It started again after setting preferences at 8 KB and currently it has grown over 48 hours to 14 KB. As I said, it seems to depend on the number of scans being done, and perhaps having a screen saver scan on doesn't help.

I'm not the least concerned about the size of the file in so far as storage is concerned, it is more a matter of why it needs to keep adding to the content in the manner it is. Yes .ini files normally change a bit in size as configuration choices are changed, but not to the extent that this file does.

It isn't a log of scans, that is why I specifically mentioned .log files, the ini file is as Scott has said is  configuration file and mine hasn't really been touched since installation over a month ago and I have run many different scans for testing purposes. If you are worried that it has now grown to a hard disk busting 14KB, you really are in trouble as there are log files in the MBs.

I guess the difference being I don't have any scheduled scans, but that doesn't really make difference to what I have said, since it is a configuration file it will reach its level once you stop tweaking settings or adding scan tasks.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

olddog

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 03:56:37 AM »
I guess the difference being I don't have any scheduled scans, but that doesn't really make difference to what I have said, since it is a configuration file it will reach its level once you stop tweaking settings or adding scan tasks.

David, it looks like you haven't really read what I said. The avast5.ini file is being added to each time an Explorer context menu scan is done, and when a screen saver scan is done, and what is being added is not configuration settings or alterations.

Look at the example I have posted, check the number of the highest Task shown in your file, do a simple single folder scan from the context menu, and then check your file again.  I'll be surprised if it is not doing the same thing on your PC, because it is repeatable on 5 PC's we have we have looked at so far here, all XP, some SP2, some XP3.

I did say I was not concerned with the actual size of the file as such, it is just an indication of changes occurring well outside of what would be expected from a normal configuration file. i.e. to have increased from 8KB to 180KB in just a short period, however I do use the context scan a fair bit.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 05:09:03 AM »
Vice Versa, that isn't happening to me, and what is being added to yours appears to be configurations and not physical scan results as in a log file.

I do see what you are getting at, but I believe you have the 'Show special scans in the avast! UI,' option enabled, so each right click scan is being taken as a UI scan and its settings recorded in the avast5.ini, as they are for the other different avast scans in the UI.

olddog

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 05:47:25 AM »
I do see what you are getting at, but I believe you have the 'Show special scans in the avast! UI,' option enabled, so each right click scan is being taken as a UI scan and its settings recorded in the avast5.ini, as they are for the other different avast scans in the UI.

David,
Yes I do have the 'Show special scans in the avast! UI,' option enabled, however that makes no difference to the situation I have described. I have tried turning it off, rebooting, and retesting. The context scan still records a whole new set of details in the file each time it is used, and I have now done that test on two different PC's.

If you are not getting the same thing, then that is another issue with Avast 5 that is not working in the same manner across the board, and that is not a good situation.

By the way, when you do a Explorer right click or context menu scan of a folder, where is your installation actually filing these details?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 02:52:47 PM »
To be more specific about this, every time you do a single folder scan from the Explorer context menu, a new task entry is added into the Avast5.ini file (a single line near the top of the file)
At the end of the file the details of that task are added and the file size jumps by about 2KB.

One could argue that this is a logging function that doesn't really belong in a configuration file, but I guess that depends on whether it is considered to be a configuration file.

It is not a "logging function"... this is necessary for the way the scaning works. So, it's as expected.
These temporary sections should be removed automatically after some time.

olddog

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 04:00:07 AM »
It is not a "logging function"... this is necessary for the way the scaning works. So, it's as expected.
These temporary sections should be removed automatically after some time.

Thanks igor, at least I now know that mine is working as Awil intended