Author Topic: New Vista install blocking Avast at start up.  (Read 3698 times)

kbz1960

New Vista install blocking Avast at start up.
« on: March 08, 2010, 01:54:14 AM »
Hi, My niece just got a refurbed Acer desktop with Vista Home Premium 32bit. I uninstalled all of the crapware on it and installed Avast 5.0.418.

The problem is that at boot Vista blocks Avast from loading. Before I installed Avast I went into services and disabled Windows defender. Opened Windows Defender and unchecked everything so it isn't loaded or scanning anything.

Why would Vista stop my Avast from loading at startup, what good is it to have it not loading at start up when the computer is online at all time? UAC should not stop it from loading and the only way I could get it to load is by turning UAC off which I didn't want to do.

Windows 7 does not do this. Oh and I also have all of the windows updates installed.

How do I keep UAC from blocking my antivirus from loading at start up without having to click on "run this program" or whatever to get it running. I would like to keep UAC on but it's unexceptable to have to tell Vista to let run at every start up.

If she or one of her kids misses that ignores it then the computer is online with no antivirus running.

Thanks for any help, I don't remember this happening when I had Vista on my pc.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: New Vista install blocking Avast at start up.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 03:06:59 AM »
Hi kbz 1960

I would say UAC is unnecessary but I only speak for myself - surprise  :o my friends like to have it running

what was crapware you removed? - Norton, Trendmicro, McAfee, etc.. installed as factory settings?  :-[  Or real crapware  ???

If you have restore to factory settings functionality, crapware may still be bundled in hidden folder (off %system%)

As it is yr crapware by looks may have been bundled into UAC and remnants still exist.
This could quite easily prevent avast from running when UAC is enabled

Have you used advised manufacturer uninstall utilities, when you removed crapware to better uninstall of unwanted programs?

I'm sorry I cannot troubleshoot Vista UAC for you as I'm using XP.  But someone should be along shortly.

Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Hally

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 03:06:35 PM »
Hi  :)

Re: Windows Defender
You didn't need to turn Windows Defender - OFF
OR.. Do anything to it!
Lot's of people run both Avast 5 and Windows Defender .. Coz they don't bang heads  ;)

Re: User Account Control
I know that some people do turn UAC - OFF
But I actually believe UAC is an important part of security.
See: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11584/understanding-user-account-control-in-windows-7/  
( Really For W7 .. But will still help explain why UAC is important to leave - ON )
Don't know why UAC is giving you problems with Avast though  :-\
Unless you're trying to install Avast from a Limited User account.
You should install Avast 5 via a Administrator account.

Hally
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 03:08:08 PM by Hally »

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 03:58:33 PM »
I have vista, and UAC, and I don't see the errors that you report.

I presume that it is a UAC rights elevation popup when you start the pc?

I imagine that something may be amiss with the installation, maybe a repair will help?

Start -->control panel -->Programs -->uninstall a program -->avast! Antivirus -->Click 'Uninstall/Change -->Scroll down and click repair

-Scott-