Author Topic: Avast 5.0 pro issues not in 4.8  (Read 7760 times)

me2010

Avast 5.0 pro issues not in 4.8
« on: March 09, 2010, 09:21:50 AM »
I was using Avast pro 4.8 and was happy, didn't take up a lot of CPU resources basically didn't try and slow down the computer.

I switched to 5.0 pro today and it is slowing down.  For instance, when clicking on My Computer icon, it takes 7-10 seconds for the contents of that to appear.  I used the uninstaller ASWCLEAR for 4.8 and ASWCLEAR5 for 5.0 while in safe mode.  When I removed 5.0 everything returned to normal, click on My Computer and C: D:, etc shows up when the window pops up.  Not having to wait and wait for it to arrive. Also, when using more than 2 programs at once such as Yahoo Messenger and Firefox open at the same time, switching to different windows takes awhile, like 20 seconds.  Never happened before 5.0.  

I also installed the beta 460 of 5.0 pro but didn't change much.  Please help, Avast has been great before this, and don't want to have to dump it just that quick.

Am running XP Pro SP3, 512megs, 320gig hard drive, never had a problem before now.  Need some help to stop these long delays of loading, thanks

me2010

Re: Avast 5.0 pro issues not in 4.8
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 12:58:24 AM »
Does anyone have anything to help me with on this?  Anyone? :-[

also before anyone asks, upgraded to the latest .462  version, still same thing.. help...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 01:00:11 AM by me2010 »

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 04:23:23 AM »
Adding RAM is the best and cheepest way to improve system performance. 

An additional 512MB RAM would really help the system.

If you use cruial.com  sit it will show the memory upgrade options.
http://www.crucial.com

coolsilver

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 06:55:27 AM »
I agree if you are running XP SP2/SP3 (as you should :D ) I would go for at least 1GB memory.

me2010

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 06:57:43 AM »
that is the best answer you could come up with?  that is a joke.  You actually think that this program requires another 512megs of memory to run better?  If that is the sloppy programming for the future of avast then I think I'll have to give up on them.

Now for everyone else, what is causing this in 5.0 pro? And why?

coolsilver

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 07:04:32 AM »
To be honest I am just a user of avast. I do not have a system with less than 1GB to accurately say Avast has issues in low memory systems.

Avast 5 typically uses less memory than 4.8. However CPU usage may be a bit more than 4.8 and can cause your system to respond slower.

marc-d-l

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 07:51:50 AM »
I am having the same problem.I added another 512 of memory didn't do diddly still slowed the pc.
If I download some other antivirus I get my speed back.I still think Avast 5 has something to do with it.

me2010

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 10:19:58 AM »
to coolsilver- hey i do appreciate the help but I just think if I need 1 gig of memory just to run an anti-virus program, that shows me it's way too bloated.  So the new one uses less memory? oh well that's good to know.  but more CPU time, I have noticed more demand on the CPU usage %. 

to marc-d-l  you added extra memory and still no improvement?  What is going on with Avast 5? There are many complaints here, I am far from alone.

My main problem is with My Computer, which is part of Explorer.exe  I tried to put Explorer.exe into the exclusion list, but didn't work.  It's taking between 7-10 seconds for the contents of My Computer to show up, the window shows up with the back,forward, and rest of the buttons, but the C: D: and the rest of those icons don't show up for 7-10 seconds.  What is Avast 5 doing that it's causing that delay?

olddog

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 10:42:23 AM »
me2010,

The important thing missing from all of your posts is any significant information about your installation other than the OS is XP pro, the memory is only 512MB and the size of the HD is 320GB and that doesn't tell us much.

If your CPU is a slow speed Pentium II then perhaps one would not be surprised at what is occurring, but if it is a decent speed P4 or Core 2 Duo or better then there is something wrong with your particular installation, because many of us are running Avast 5 series with XP and not experiencing that particular problem.

Can you post some worthwhile information, CPU type and speed, available space on the OS partition of your hard drive, and when it was last defragmented?. What firewall software do you have?. What other security software do you have running.

What version of Avast 5 have you installed, is it the current version 5.0.462? What shields have you got installed?. Have you played with the settings of any of the shields or are they the default ones?
Have you tried stopping individual shields one at a time to see whether that has any effect on the problem.?

The more information you provide, the more chance you have of getting a worthwhile answer.

bong2x

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 10:44:50 AM »
 ;) according to my experience of using this security software, from 4.5 to 5.0
my hardware is still the same. 20gb hard drive, 128-mb ram, 700MHz processor, window xp sp1,
921-kbps dial-up.
but still running with avast 5.0 without any problem.
and i cannot upgrade my ram because its obsolete i cannot find any ram :P

me2010

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 11:10:41 AM »
me2010,

The important thing missing from all of your posts is any significant information about your installation other than the OS is XP pro, the memory is only 512MB and the size of the HD is 320GB and that doesn't tell us much.

If your CPU is a slow speed Pentium II then perhaps one would not be surprised at what is occurring, but if it is a decent speed P4 or Core 2 Duo or better then there is something wrong with your particular installation, because many of us are running Avast 5 series with XP and not experiencing that particular problem.

Can you post some worthwhile information, CPU type and speed, available space on the OS partition of your hard drive, and when it was last defragmented?. What firewall software do you have?. What other security software do you have running.

What version of Avast 5 have you installed, is it the current version 5.0.462? What shields have you got installed?. Have you played with the settings of any of the shields or are they the default ones?
Have you tried stopping individual shields one at a time to see whether that has any effect on the problem.?

The more information you provide, the more chance you have of getting a worthwhile answer.

yes I did leave all that info off and here it is....

- WIN XP Pro SP3, all the latest updates, did it before and after the newest updates.
- CPU AMD Athlon XP 1.53ghz
- Available space on the C: 19gb used out of 83gb total, 64gb free.
- Avast version 5.0.462
- Shields, all of them are on, have tried some shields on, some shields off, all off, doesn't change the delay on loading My Computer that is what is odd.  Only way to restore the quick responses is to uninstall 5.0.
- Used the Avast 5.0 uninstaller program, in safe mode, even made sure no entry of Avast or Alwil Software was in the registry. Also have used the 4.8 uninstaller program as well to remove anything left over.
- Defragmented after installing 5.0.462,  (only 3% fragmented) a slightly faster access to programs but didn't remove the delay in My Computer.  Very odd.
- Tiny Firewall but didn't make a difference if that was running or not.  It's a small footprint firewall, has never caused any problems since I've had it.

There is even a delay when loading Internet Explorer, Firefox not so much of a delay.  But trying to open a new window with IE is not instant, takes about 2-3 seconds.

thanks for the reminder of the info and the help.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 11:44:21 AM by me2010 »

me2010

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 11:18:23 AM »
;) according to my experience of using this security software, from 4.5 to 5.0
my hardware is still the same. 20gb hard drive, 128-mb ram, 700MHz processor, window xp sp1,
921-kbps dial-up.
but still running with avast 5.0 without any problem.
and i cannot upgrade my ram because its obsolete i cannot find any ram :P
thanks for the info bong2x!   When you double left click on my computer, do the C: and other drive icons show up when the window loads?  Or is there a delay?

bong2x

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 11:36:51 AM »
 ;) yes it show up the c-drive, a-drive, cd-drive,
and sometimes delays but i understand that my pc is too old
but when heat ups about 1-min before clicking something no delays at all. :)

me2010

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 11:40:53 AM »
;) yes it show up the c-drive, a-drive, cd-drive,
and sometimes delays but i understand that my pc is too old
but when heat ups about 1-min before clicking something no delays at all. :)

thanks bong2x! helping to track down what is causing this slowly.

bong2x

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 12:00:22 PM »
 :) and according also to my experience, 1 time my computer show all blue screen and that is the time of 4.8
computer told me that cannot initialize, memory over dumping it does over and over. but what i did i take off the memory battery
cells thats make my computer into all default settings clean the terminal of my ram. and its running back no over-damping ;D