Author Topic: New build of avast (5.0.462) now officially released  (Read 114390 times)

twl845

Re: New build of avast (5.0.462) now officially released
« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2010, 08:11:15 PM »
Went okay for 1/2 a day, then whole puter crashed

What makes you think that avast did this? avast does not make yr computer crash.

Can you provide a HijackThis log -

Click here –
http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/2894/

Download and run.
Then do scan and save a log file.

Post the log file to this thread. If it is too large you may have to post in two parts.

Because it only crashed with the new 5 version of avast. I first installed the the first version of 5.0 and it did it. Many others have reported the same symptoms. I don't have the tiome to keep played with this version. Just going to stay with 4.8
I'll bet it's an app that conflicts with your new v5.

gubat

« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2010, 04:38:17 AM »
Just updated to the version 5 just noticed that VRDB is no longer a feature, does anyone have an explanation as to why it is so?

Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2010, 12:22:45 PM »
Just updated to the version 5 just noticed that VRDB is no longer a feature, does anyone have an explanation as to why it is so?
Thanks!
It's an obsolete technology that was dropped. avast manage the cleaning with another methods. Anyway, few executable files of very few infections could be handled by VRDB.
The best things in life are free.

2harts4ever

« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
Thanks Tech.  I was wondering about that myself.

Have a great day!

Regards,

2harts4ever

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2010, 05:47:40 PM »
updated ok!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

fhoegler43

« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2010, 07:13:27 PM »
Went okay for 1/2 a day, then whole puter crashed

What makes you think that avast did this? avast does not make yr computer crash.

Can you provide a HijackThis log -

Click here –
http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/2894/

Download and run.
Then do scan and save a log file.

Post the log file to this thread. If it is too large you may have to post in two parts.

Because it only crashed with the new 5 version of avast. I first installed the the first version of 5.0 and it did it. Many others have reported the same symptoms. I don't have the tiome to keep played with this version. Just going to stay with 4.8
I'll bet it's an app that conflicts with your new v5.

The only app that was running is Zone Alarm free. I have never had an issue with ZA with other versions of Avast including 4.8

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2010, 01:11:59 AM »
Yes I think issue with ZA free but I never use so I dont know. I just recall this from somewhere in forum.

I think someone will respond when they see this, and there may be a workaround
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline GreerThai

« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2010, 09:09:58 AM »
I purchased Avast V5.xx (I think it came from CNET or another - cant recall), but the install failed, and I tried again, it eventually finished but then would not allow the computer to access the bio-security (fingerprint) system, so could not boot. As the install failed, I couldn't tell which version it was other than 5...something...

I uninstalled it from Safe Mode OK, then tried again - same result.

Uninstalled, then went and got  the free version (5.0.462) - all ok.

Bear in mind that I had purchased the Internet Security Suite, so I have a license file - installed that file and the system asked if I wanted to update to IS - so I agreed - it downloads 3 small files and thats it...nothing else happens...it does not upgrade to the IS version, NOR does it Register the Free version that I have - despite having a purchased official license...

So - anyone else had this problem, and any fixes coming through?

I had previously had the god-awful McAfee (provided "free" with the computer for evaluation) - this was uninstalled prior to installing Avast!

My system is Acer 6920G (Intell Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5GHz), Vista Home Premium, 4Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD.

twl845

« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2010, 02:54:38 PM »
Yes I think issue with ZA free but I never use so I dont know. I just recall this from somewhere in forum.

I think someone will respond when they see this, and there may be a workaround
I can't vouch for the latest version of ZA, but I used it for a few years. I found it very tempermental, and every upgrade was a crap shoot. So entertaining the possibility of a conflict with Avast v5.462 is a consideration you should explore.

Rick F

« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2010, 08:53:27 PM »
I've used ZoneAlarm (free) for years without issue and I'm running avast 5 on XP without any problems.  But, it's an older version... 7.0.302.

fhoegler43

« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2010, 09:35:58 PM »
I've used ZoneAlarm (free) for years without issue and I'm running avast 5 on XP without any problems.  But, it's an older version... 7.0.302.

I'm using ZA 9.1. No problems with Avast 4.8 but maybe I'll give Avast 5 another try. May try another free firewall or older version. Thanks for the help and I' keep everyone informed if it works.

Hemmers

« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2010, 10:46:52 AM »
Having regressed to Avast! 4.8 after the problems I listed in the 5.0.418 thread, I gave it another go, after seeing .418 had been patched to .462.

Had exactly the same problem - even from a clean install (and after I'd tidied the registry with CCleaner), the UI reported all the shields were off, the traffic monitors all said "Module stopped". Clicking "Fix It" or "Start" simply returned error messages saying they couldn't, whilst the maintenance page simply had blank spaces next to the bits that should have told you what program/database version you had, etc. In essence everything except the GUI was turned off.

Going to Control Panel, Administrative Tools -> Service, and trying to start the "avast! antivirus" service gave the following error message:

"The avast! Antivirus service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service."

I then uninstalled the lot, and tried installing one services at a time.
The bug seems to be in the Behaviour Shield.
Installing all the shields except that one leaves me with software that (appears to!) work fine. It runs, scans files, updates, etc, etc.
As soon as I install the Behaviour Shield, all the symptoms mentioned above come back and the thing just doesnt work. You have this UI that sits there and tells you everything is turned off, but refuses to turn any services on for you.

Even after uninstalling the behaviour shield (Control Panel -> Avast -> Change), the symptoms persist until you uninstall the lot and do a clean install (minus Behaviour Shield!). Having read through the threads, I'd suggest quite a few of the XP related problems root back to this. Something in the Behaviour Shield is screwing with the services and stopping them from running.

EDIT: Meh, scratch that. Couple of restarts later and its back to square 1. Despite the absence of the Behaviour shield, it started throwing up phoney update data (telling me it was still on VDB from March 9th - the version that comes with this build), before going back to the old routine of having a GUI telling me that everything's off and can't be started.
Back to 4.8 for me...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 02:11:59 PM by Hemmers »

successfulanoop

« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2010, 12:06:42 PM »
need serial key for avast 5

riskpusher4life

« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2010, 12:56:02 PM »
need serial key for avast 5
well...u have to register for free from inside the application...else you can get the old system of filling in a form on the website, im not sure about that one though, But its FREE...so do a little research, use your head.

dcooper

« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2010, 05:11:30 PM »
I purchased Avast V5.xx (I think it came from CNET or another - cant recall), but the install failed, and I tried again, it eventually finished but then would not allow the computer to access the bio-security (fingerprint) system, so could not boot. As the install failed, I couldn't tell which version it was other than 5...something...

I uninstalled it from Safe Mode OK, then tried again - same result.

Uninstalled, then went and got  the free version (5.0.462) - all ok.

Bear in mind that I had purchased the Internet Security Suite, so I have a license file - installed that file and the system asked if I wanted to update to IS - so I agreed - it downloads 3 small files and thats it...nothing else happens...it does not upgrade to the IS version, NOR does it Register the Free version that I have - despite having a purchased official license...

So - anyone else had this problem, and any fixes coming through?

I had previously had the god-awful McAfee (provided "free" with the computer for evaluation) - this was uninstalled prior to installing Avast!

My system is Acer 6920G (Intell Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5GHz), Vista Home Premium, 4Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD.

I've had the same or similar problem with a licensed copy of IS on XP.  The installation would hang on installing the firewall.  I installed the free VS and gave it my license file and it upgraded to IS, again not completing the installation.  I had to delete the avast NDIS filter from my network adapter entries in order to get my network connection to work.  I now have IS running sans the firewall.  I would like to get it all working and I've file a ticket about a week ago, but I haven't heard anything back yet.  Does this sound like what you are experiencing?  Do you have an unusual network configuration, ie. vpn adapters or multiple ip addresses?  I didn't have any problem with the installation on my Windows 7 laptop.