Author Topic: Unable to boot after install.  (Read 5161 times)

CoDplayer

Unable to boot after install.
« on: March 12, 2010, 07:06:30 AM »
I downloaded the free trial of avast and installedit, shortly after I purchased the licenses and updated the software. after it asks to restart and i agree it says "windows cannot successfully start" and sends me into a continuous loop of restarts until I restor to before the Avast installation. And i want to say that I have installed and uninstalled it and avast is deffinetly corrupting something to cause it to fail to start. Also the free trial will run fine and i can boot no problem, it's only after i update the license.
Im using

-Hp touchsmart
-AMD turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile Pm-74 2.2 Ghz
-64bit OS

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Unable to boot after install.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 02:03:41 PM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

CoDplayer

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 07:44:46 PM »
Now I am getting frustrated. I reinstalled windows Vista, updated the 58 updates it neede, spent 3 hours getting everything to a fresh install, reboot the pc. it loads to the welcome screen. After clicking to logon it tells me "Unauthorized change was made to windows" then links me to the windows genuine site and wont let me access my windows. Thank you Avast for screwing me.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 09:00:45 PM »
CoDplayer, so it's not an avast fault... ???
The best things in life are free.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 09:13:43 PM »
Stupid Question: is it a genuine Vista CD you are using...?
Did you format the HDD before reinstalling?
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

CoDplayer

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 04:47:10 AM »
it is a genuine copy of windowds, and i can use the compute fine its just a pop up that takes me to the microsoft wbsite. the website tells me my copy may not be genuine do to a program recentley installed. i installed avast on a fresh install and fully updated version of windows.

Offline Cahya Legawa

• Oh, here we are again.
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 07:26:26 AM »
CoDplayer,

I do have Windows Genuine, and using avast pro, I don't find any conflicts. And this conditions you describe similar with those who use non-genuine Windows but thinks they have one. But I don't know for sure.
Avast Security Premium - Windows 10, Android, iPadOS. | Avast One Free - Windows 11

CoDplayer

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 04:35:32 PM »
the freaking computer is brand new out of the box, tell me how i THINK its genuine when it IS genuine...this forums is as much help as the software causing me to waste my time and money.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 05:23:56 PM »
CoDPlayer -please keep in mind that we are all only users as you are. And we don't sit in front of your pc, so it is quite normal to just shut out the "stupid" causes there may be.

On this site you are taken - isn't there any way to click a "My windows is genuine" button or something like that and that downloads and runs the Windows genuine advantage tool?

As I understand you observed this behaviour also after installing Vista from scratch and before you installed Avast again:
Now I am getting frustrated. I reinstalled windows Vista, updated the 58 updates it neede, spent 3 hours getting everything to a fresh install, reboot the pc. it loads to the welcome screen. After clicking to logon it tells me "Unauthorized change was made to windows" then links me to the windows genuine site and wont let me access my windows. Thank you Avast for screwing me.
Is that the case?

If that is so, then it can hardly be avast that causes the problem.
Try this site to validate your Vista: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate/ValidateNow.aspx?displaylang=en
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 05:27:28 PM by Zyndstoff »
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline Cahya Legawa

• Oh, here we are again.
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 12:32:58 PM »
CoDplayer,

Please don't throw your anger on forum. We try to helps based on our personal experience and knowledge, nobody so perfect that can give you an instan solution that just works like miracle.

Since you reinstalled your Vista, try to validate it before installing any other programs or patches or updates. Just like Zyndstoff said above. Or you can see the procedure by HP here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01053605&tmp_task=useCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3920995

If you can pass the genuine validation, yes your copy of Windows is Genuine (I ever tried this once, so I know if a genuine Windows shall always detected genuine), if you can't pass the genuine validation, you should ask Microsoft or HP (if it was bundled along the HP machine), avast doesn't block genuine validation.

Then, after you pass the genuine validation let try to install avast just like Tech said, maybe from step 5 since we considered it would be a fresh install.
Avast Security Premium - Windows 10, Android, iPadOS. | Avast One Free - Windows 11

Offline -Genesis-

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 01:20:17 PM »
Its obviously his Vista is pirated copy.

It detect because you just windows update it.

Its not avast fault.
Windows 11 Pro / Windows Defender/
Ryzen 5 1600/ Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Xtreme/ Gskill Trident Z RGB 3000/ Samsung Evo 250GB/ Western Digital Black 1 TB