Author Topic: [Resolved] Rune of Magic Newsletter -- HTML:Script-inf found :/  (Read 3920 times)

_Rej_

Hi,  2 Questions...

First, the virus/malware was found IN the email I received...

1) Wondering if this is a false positive since this is coming from a site/company I've been doing business with for the last year or so.  If it's *not* then I'll advise them right away (might do so after typing this anyways).

2) The EMail in question is still  in my inbox but with ***VIRUS*** added to its title.  Can I open this Email (in my mail program) now? Meaning, did Avast clean it up?  I know AVast put at least a copy in the chest.   Just wondering if the one left in the Email software is safe or not.

Thanks in advance...

Regards,

~R
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 09:02:19 AM by _Rej_ »

SafeSurf

Re: Rune of Magic Newsletter -- HTML:Script-inf found :/
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 09:54:08 AM »
Hello _Rei_, and welcome to the forum.  :)

1) Wondering if this is a false positive since this is coming from a site/company I've been doing business with for the last year or so.  If it's *not* then I'll advise them right away (might do so after typing this anyways).

2) The EMail in question is still  in my inbox but with ***VIRUS*** added to its title.  Can I open this Email (in my mail program) now? Meaning, did Avast clean it up?  I know AVast put at least a copy in the chest.   Just wondering if the one left in the Email software is safe or not.
I would NOT open the email since Avast gave you the Virus alert for a reason.  Instead I would permanently delete it and as you suggested contact the company that sent it.  Perhaps they can fax you a copy of what was sent to you and investigate the reason.  Perhaps their site was hacked or there was a malicious script or many other reasons that caused this alert.

If something is sitting in your Virus Chest, it is safe there because it is quarantined.  However it is not safe in your email software since Avast didn't clean up the email...it just put it in a safe area (Chest), so that is why I suggest you delete it from the email location without opening it

Have you updated your Avast definitions and run a scan since getting this email?  Which machine was this on?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 09:58:08 AM »
If you want to open the mail, be sure all scripting functions are turned off in your mailclient..!!
If this mail isn't very important, just delete it...
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

_Rej_

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 06:12:50 PM »
Thx for the replies folks...

I deleted the Email in question a few days after it happened after contacting the company.

Appreciate the help/info on this :)

Regards,

R

P.S. I purchased AVast 5 since then and unfortunately I had to reinstall it in order for the registration to work.   My Virus Chest is empty now, so either I deleted it or the reinstall did.  Can't check it anymore  :-\
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 06:15:38 PM by _Rej_ »

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Rune of Magic Newsletter -- HTML:Script-inf found :/
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 08:09:14 AM »
I'm very happy everything is working out for you now.  :)

Since your issue is now resolved/fixed, please go back to the open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed.  Thank you.

Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences.