Author Topic: help please to upgrade avast  (Read 2109 times)

mcgcazorla

help please to upgrade avast
« on: March 14, 2010, 06:54:50 PM »
hello, i am from spain, i am using avast 4.8 home, and i want to know one thing
in softonic, some people say that avast 5 free has problems but some people too say that is has not problem
i want to know if avast 5 free has problems and if anybody recommend me to upgrade it )to install avast 5 free)
Thanks and see you soon

Offline Gandalf1369

Re: help please to upgrade avast
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 07:37:57 PM »
I have been using avast! 5 since it was first released without any problems whatsoever.  I believe that the vast majority of people who install and use it are doing so problem free.  That is, however, not to say that there is no possibility of something not working correctly for you.  No software is absolutely 100% perfect.

In order to maximize your chances of a problem free install I would do the following:

1. download the latest avast! 5 Free package.
2. download the avast! uninstall utility (awsclear.exe) from this website - http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
3. uninstall your current avast! 4.8 using the Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs
4. reboot into Safe Mode
5. run the awsclear.exe uninstall utility
6. reboot normally
7. install avast! 5.0 Free
8. reboot

Note that Vlk (one of the avast! developers who posts on this forum) has said that it is not necessary to do the above steps to get a good install of avast! unless there is a problem with the initial install.  He obviously knows more than I do, but I would still follow the above in any case.  I'm just the cautious type . .   :)

You should now have a perfectly running copy of avast! 5 Free.  If you have any questions or problems, come on back and post again in the forum.

Good luck . . .
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: help please to upgrade avast
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 07:39:52 PM »
Please stop double-posting this.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear