Author Topic: Win95:Matyas  (Read 4999 times)

trilliantestes

Win95:Matyas
« on: June 26, 2003, 10:41:37 PM »
1st time avast4home edition program caught any virus on myPC (c:\_RESTORE\TEMP\A0066391.CPY). consider myself still novice PCuser. using WinME. As i'm typing this still have that initial virus warning screen up *AND don't know what to do (but think after i'm done posting this request for help from the Avast moderators, will continue scanning and ignore warning--for now)...

...like i said, *don't know what to do other than in this order, (1)sent a report at the avast.com site, (2) googled win95:matyas and got only 1 result and even more surprising that that result is AVAST (no other av vendors got info on this virus?)...don't remember some of the intermediary steps but did search at forum and foundhttp://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?action=search2 started by arie82...still don't understand wholly this thread cause i'm novice (so please help with *step-by-step for what to do to rid of virus)

and what's this unique to WinME system restore relationship to ridding of any viruses??? (system restore have to be turned *OFF? and that's *BEFORE clicking on remove virus? then after deleting virus, i can turn sysrestore back on?!!)

eventual successful removal of this virus is good and all but the obvious question has to be asked: how come the real-time scanner didn't catch it first??? (and from what i gather with arie82 thread, i did run PANDA's online Activescan but don't get how come a tool that's supposed to do good could inflict virus on my PC??)

Thanks moderators for help (and please remember my PC novice status when giving me instruction for nuking the virus). Mucho gracias, merci beaucoup (spelling?)

trilliantestes

Re:Win95:Matyas
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2003, 11:52:50 PM »
when on-demand scan finished, got these 3 in addition to my thread starter post:

c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ActiveScan\pav.sig(Win95:Matyas)

c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ActiveScan\imscan.dll(too quick to press continue scan, forgot to look at virus name..scratch this, when scan finished, reported Win32:Kuang2)

c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\pav.sig(Win95:Matyas)

(plus from previous post c:\_RESTORE\TEMP\A0066391.CPY win95:matyas)

like i said, have not taken any action on these 4 files (either delete,repair,move to chest, or move/rename)

thanks for ur help (thorough scan & look in archives)

bsadowski

Re:Win95:Matyas
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2003, 03:59:05 AM »
According to a short review on wilders.org ,Avast gives false positives.