Author Topic: Laptop reboots randomly and avast is "unsecured"  (Read 2714 times)

Orphen

Laptop reboots randomly and avast is "unsecured"
« on: March 23, 2010, 07:34:20 PM »
This has been happening for days now. My laptop will randomly reboot on its own. At first I thought it was just overheating, but I've gotten an external fan for it and it still happens from time to time.

And to top it off, avast is unsecured. I've tried "fix now," repairing it via add/remove programs does nothing. I've tried to use the uninstall tool, but that does nothing as well. Says that avast's self-defense is on, but when I uncheck the box under avast's setting, nothing happens. It doesn't even acknowledge that I've unchecked it when I come back to it.

I've tried to use the uninstall tool from safe mode, but for some reason when it safe mode begins to boot up (it'll show my mouse on a black screen) it'll reboot again before I can do anything. The only way I can seem to use my computer is by starting windows normally.

Help? :(

jrehner

Re: Laptop reboots randomly and avast is "unsecured"
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 05:18:18 AM »
Seems u are saying your boot problems are somehow related to Avast--I would simply close Avast for a time and see if u continue to have random reboots.... When I first boot up my computer Avast 5 Pro has yellow exclamation which indicates the computer is not yet completely secure but as soon the bootup is fully complete that goes away.. You should see the Avast icon in the Tray when u bootup..

If you want to Uninstall Avast there is a utility u can download from the Avast site to do so and many ppl here recommend u use that even when going from 4.8 pro to 5 Pro even though the Avast 5 pro download automatically uninstalls the prior Avast app..

FYI when I started to have sudden reboots on my computer I ultimately determined that my ram was acting up--eventually that caused hard drive corruption.. Check your ram or try ram that u know is good---I thought for quite some that the problem was with my graphics adaptor but it was the gaming ram I used--but hey it had a lifetime warranty

also some1 else was having problems and he blew out the dust from inside the laptop which corrected things--it was overheating from dust buildup
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 05:55:13 AM by jrehner »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Laptop reboots randomly and avast is "unsecured"
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 01:46:58 PM »
Which was your old antivirus, before avast? How did you uninstall it?
Any other security program that could interfere?

I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.