Author Topic: How do I increase font size in the user interface?  (Read 4435 times)

Offline Avastian

How do I increase font size in the user interface?
« on: April 05, 2010, 02:19:16 PM »
This is a continuation of this thread: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58110.0

I changed the topic heading to better reflect what I want to do: increase the size of the user interface font. My UI currently displays what I believe is an 8-point font. I can't find anything in the settings that will change this. I like Avast, but I can't recommend it to some people, esp. older people, if the font size can't be increased. Does anyone know how to do it?

CharleyO

Re: How do I increase font size in the user interface?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 08:05:52 PM »

The only way I can think of to do that is to change the screen resolution which would also be a benefit to older people.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
Changing the screen resolution is fine on a CRT but not very good on TFT screens as the native resolution is best, making any change to that is likely to make the displayed data less clear.

You can change the DPI in the windows settings, see image, I have a 26" TFT 1920x1200 and a DPI of 96 is fine for me (with glasses) and relatively small text. The increase the DPI the greater the text size.

Unfortunately that impacts every font used, I don't know too many AVs that have a selective font size when using a fixed GUI.

Though if the user has has sight problems they would want something like this across the board.

Edit, incorrect wording, see italics above.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:55:47 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 09:13:03 PM »

Thanks for the input, David.   :)

Jon_T

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 09:42:48 PM »
... The lower the DPI the greater the text size. ...
I believe you meant "The lower the DPI the smaller the text size"?  Per screen shot 96 DPI "Normal Size" and 120 DPI is "Larger Size".

Generally with most LCD displays enabling True Type will help text look a little cleaner.

Also with a few LCD displays they can display a different resolution providing it has the same (or very close to) aspect ratio as the LCD display's native resolution.  Found this out when a friend purchased a Dell 22" WS LCD display and the max resolution of his graphics card was less than the display's native resolution.  Used a lower resolution nearest to the aspect ratio as the displays native resolution until he bought another graphics card (no updates available for card in PC).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 09:53:20 PM »
Sorry, yes, suffering from a case of anal cranial inversion (head up a**) when posting, more haste less speed ;D

Will edit to avoid further confusion.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security