Author Topic: Avast! is blocking the Windows Live Messenger startup  (Read 8042 times)

Tiroleo

Avast! is blocking the Windows Live Messenger startup
« on: April 26, 2010, 09:12:19 PM »
I'm having a problem with my Avast! Internet Security 5.0.507.

When i run windows live messenger he appears in the task manager and a few seconds later the program closes.

I've already follow the instructions to remove Avast! completely using the removal tool and do a installation from the scratch and installing all over again. Windows Live Messenger still not working. But I've made a test after i remove it and messenger opens with no problem at all.

I've tried to install Windows Live Messenger again after installing Avast! again and this error code appears: OnCatalogResult: 0x80029c4a

So Avast! is blocking the messenger to run and to be reinstalled.

I've configure the firewall and still not working and now i don't know what to do.

Can someone please have a solution for this problem?!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast! is blocking the Windows Live Messenger startup
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 10:06:42 PM »
avast doesn't block, it scans and alerts to infection but it doesn't block. Presumable you aren't getting an infection alert as you didn't mention it, so there is something else in the mix.

If there is an apparent blocking, there is some sort of conflict and this is most commonly with another security application. Remove one element of any conflict and no conflict, what that doesn't do is confirm what is at fault.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What other security based software do you have installed ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Tiroleo

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 10:50:12 PM »
avast doesn't block, it scans and alerts to infection but it doesn't block. Presumable you aren't getting an infection alert as you didn't mention it, so there is something else in the mix.

If there is an apparent blocking, there is some sort of conflict and this is most commonly with another security application. Remove one element of any conflict and no conflict, what that doesn't do is confirm what is at fault.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What other security based software do you have installed ?

A have AVG 8.5, Spybot and CCleaner.

So, you are saying that if i unistall AVG, maybe the conflict will me solved?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 10:53:15 PM »
So, you are saying that if i unistall AVG, maybe the conflict will me solved?
Sure!
More than one antivirus will always conflict!
The best things in life are free.

Tiroleo

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 11:11:50 PM »
I always use more than one anti-virus, and always AVG and Avast!.

I will try and post here the result

doktornotor

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 11:21:57 PM »

Yikes... Two realtime AVs "complemented" by Spybot - you should consider yourself extremely lucky that your box still boots.  :o

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 12:01:31 AM »

That is more by luck than design, it is only a matter of time before two low level drivers that hook files so they can be scanned conflict.

Having two resident scanners installed is not recommended as rather than provide twice the protection it can cause conflicts that could leave you more vulnerable.

I would also suggest running this tool to ensure all remnants of avg are removed - AVG8.x (or higher) Remover, download tool from here, http://www.avg.com/download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 12:02:45 AM »
I always use more than one anti-virus
Looking for trouble... sooner or later.
The best things in life are free.

iroc9555

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 12:27:25 AM »
Hi tiroleo.

I agree with other members here that having two AV working as residents at the same time is looking for trouble, but if what you like is double protection, try Immunet. It is an AV design to work with other AV. Well the debate is on if that is true or not.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2010/04/immunet-a-second-opinion-worth-a-second-look/

http://www.immunet.com/

I have not tried it myself because I have been a loyal 10 years Avast user. Mind you I scan my PC with MBAM, SpySweeper, and once in a while, when I get paranoid, with KISS on line.

Hope it helps.

Tiroleo

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 04:23:02 PM »
Problem solved! It was a conflict between Avast! and AVG.

After i unistalled AVG and use the removal tool, Live Messenger opens perfectly.

DavidR was right.

Thank you for all support and time spending in my problem.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 04:47:29 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

A belated welcome to the forums.