Author Topic: Avast Internet Security 5.0 or PC Tools Internet Security 2010  (Read 9389 times)

mhl6493

Let me preface my question with this disclaimer: I'm not looking to start a flaming argument about which software is better. That isn't my intention at all. I am, however, currently evaluating internet security suites to see which one might be right for me, and am very interested in finding all the relevant information/input that I can.

That said, my question is this: which is better overall, PC Tools Internet Security 2010, or Avast Internet Security 2010 (not the free AV, but the Internet Suite). I am currently running the trial version of both -- one on my desktop and the other on my laptop. I do wish that PC Tools trial was longer than 15 days, and that it actually would allow you fully to utilize the software. But that's another discussion... What are the strong points and weak points of both, how do they compare, which do you feel is better, and why?

Obviously, this is an Avast forum, so I expect the answers I receive to heavily lean in that direction. That's OK. I just want to know why you feel that way.

Thanks in advance for your help.

ArminPasalic!

Re: Avast Internet Security 5.0 or PC Tools Internet Security 2010
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 05:02:20 PM »
I have used Free and Pro 4.8 on my old PC. And it protected well. PC TOOLS is good, but Avast! is better. Their company always updates the Signutures. I would recommend AVAST! 5. OR: You can have: Avast 5! Free and Comodo Free firewall(Free Protection) It is nice too. AVAST, I would recommend it. :-)
Signutures Update only and their nice Boot-Scanner, Removing tools, etc.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 05:07:19 PM »
As far I know, the PC Tools antivirus is very very weak, what makes the suite poorer than AIS.
Although, the AIS capabilities of managing HIPS, zero day attacks, etc. is rather poor, so you can still find other products to run side-by-side with AIS.
I never used PC Tools suite (only the firewall in the past). So, I hope my opinions aren't that much biased.
The best things in life are free.

ArminPasalic!

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 05:09:35 PM »
Here is what I use for ESET SMART SECURITY 4.2 but i'll change to AVast! 5 free. I always use Immunet(Cloud Protection, and Version 2.0 will launch in May or something) :-) It's pretty nice though. :)

mhl6493

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 05:16:26 PM »
Tech, what products do you recommend running alongside AIS to supplement the things it doesn't do as well?

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 05:24:15 PM »
Well avast internet Security is almost complete for a protection and you can add the free version of malwarebytes which I am quite sure that many users in this forum will agree.

You can download the free version of malwarebytes here:
http://www.malwarebytes.org

The free version won't have any resident protection and if you plan to buy that it is a full lifetime license key which means once you've bought it, you don't need to pay for it anymore :)

You can do a scan weekly/monthly with it(Note:before scanning make sure you run the update first)

The resident shield of malwarebytes is rather heavy but provides a very good protection against malwares nowdays.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 05:30:43 PM by Shiw Liang »

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 05:27:10 PM »
As far I know, the PC Tools antivirus is very very weak, what makes the suite poorer than AIS.
Although, the AIS capabilities of managing HIPS, zero day attacks, etc. is rather poor, so you can still find other products to run side-by-side with AIS.
I never used PC Tools suite (only the firewall in the past). So, I hope my opinions aren't that much biased.
About this point I totally agree with Tech.
Avast has better rate of detection and more powerful scanner which makes you have a lot better protection than Pc Tools internet security but no offence to them.

I've once used avast(Free version) side by side with threatfire and now I decided not to become I am rather bored in receiving a notification about what is changing each time I install a software..

By the way avast is far lighter resource than Pctool's one  ;D
I'm not joking  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 05:44:52 PM »
Tech, what products do you recommend running alongside AIS
Windows Firewall ON.
ThreatFire, WinPatrol.
SpywareBlaster.
MBAM for on demand scannings.

mhl6493

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 06:05:49 PM »
Tech, what products do you recommend running alongside AIS
Windows Firewall ON.
ThreatFire, WinPatrol.
SpywareBlaster.
MBAM for on demand scannings.

Is it OK to leave Windows Firewall on?  I was under the impression that having two firewalls running at the same time wasn't advisable.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 06:25:47 PM »
Yup I recommend to two the windows firewall off :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 08:04:40 PM »
Is it OK to leave Windows Firewall on? 
It is recommended by Microsoft and Alwil.
It's not my opinion. It's an opinion of the AIS and Windows developers.

mhl6493

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 08:06:15 PM »
Thanks, Tech.  I wasn't aware of that. 

mhl6493

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 08:26:37 PM »
Is it OK to leave Windows Firewall on? 
It is recommended by Microsoft and Alwil.
It's not my opinion. It's an opinion of the AIS and Windows developers.

Tech, is there a link or something to this information?  Please understand, I'm not doubting your word in the least.  I'd just like to do some research on this myself and see the rationale behind it.  Thanks again!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 08:40:24 PM »

Tgell

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 09:51:18 PM »
Symantec acquired PC Tools and has now ended support for their paid Anti-virus. Who know how long Symantec will continue to support a program that competes with Symantec's own internet security. Also, I would not be surprised if Symantec puts Threatfire under the Symantec name and starts to charge for it or gets rid of it completely.