Author Topic: Torjan Horse, or "false positive"?  (Read 14958 times)

wisteria

Torjan Horse, or "false positive"?
« on: April 11, 2010, 04:29:16 PM »
Hello there,

I've been trying to enter a furniture website here in the UK, but I keep receiving a message from Avast telling me there is a Trojan horse file attached to the shopping cart, thus I always have to abort the connection.   

Website address: wXw.riversidefurniture.co.uk

I've telephoned the company and they admit that someone had hacked into their computer recently. However, they think their computer is now clean and that my anti-virus software is over-reacting.  They use Norton to protect their computer, which says it all.  I've recently uninstalled Norton and switched to Avast Professional due to a number of issues experienced with Norton. 

Any way, whenever I try to enter the furniture site, Avast continues to warn of a Trojan horse.   

I've now contacted technical support at Avast and await their response, as I'm wondering if this is a 'false positive'?   

If anyone here is brave enough to visit the aforementioned site, I'd be interested to know if Avast sends you the same Trojan horse warning.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Torjan Horse, or "false positive"?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 05:19:29 PM »
yes I checked page that page - its css - its www home page

- looks messy to me - but no malware as far as I can see - wait for second opinion

I will check shopping cart
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline krypton

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 05:32:06 PM »
yes i also got virus alert while opening http://riversidefurniture.co.uk/shoppingcart/

trojan horse virus

LAPTOP: LENOVO G50, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HARD DISK, AVAST PREMIUM SECURITY 2020, WINDOWS 8.1

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 05:40:43 PM »
The whole point of asking The original poster to modify the link is to avoid accidental exposure to an infected site. 

Please 'modify' your post change the URL from http to hXXp or www to wXw, to break the link and avoid accidental exposure to suspect sites, thanks.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 05:53:33 PM »
yes i also got virus alert while opening http://riversidefurniture.co.uk/shoppingcart/

trojan horse virus

No virus (or trojan) alert while opening hxxp://riversidefurniture.co.uk/shoppingcart/.

I guess Opera is blocking the malware before avast! 5 can detect it. :) 8)

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 05:57:06 PM »
problem most likely very messy html

script outside main body of page - that is, google tracker script (see screenshot)

they need to talk to or change their webmaster (pardon my impudence)

- in fact page is worse this, I've edited it for easier reading - there was a ton of blank space amongst this lot (very untidy)

okay I edited again with Picture Manager so I think you have to download screenshot now
- sorry I loaded Office 2003 today - I'll see what I can do wit Faststone as page is good example of incorrect html
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 06:18:47 PM by mkis »

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »
The index page of the shopping cart has been hacked and is still not clean.

See image 1, this script is hanging around isolated from other code on the page, so it is hidden from casual checks.

See image 2, where it shows the intent to run a javascript file on googie-anaiytics.net, note the i where the l would be in the legit google-analytics url. So it is trying to appear legit, see http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Analytics/thread?tid=3d83e46dc03910ad&hl=en

This script is in a two places in that page, the second about 50 blank lines below the closing HTML tag (and once again way out to the right of the screen to try and hide), a standards no, no and highly suspect.

The the company needs to get cleaning again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 06:15:52 PM »
Thanks David - I guess just waiting to be hacked again anytime now - I'll edit my post
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 06:20:08 PM by mkis »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 06:23:49 PM »
No problem, they fooled the people supposed to be the web master/designer who reportedly said it was clean also ;D

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 06:25:52 PM »
David, is that script still active like that, or have they just made a mess of cleaning it up?
oh yes I see the analysis - interesting
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 07:10:45 PM by mkis »

wisteria

Re: Trojan Horse, or "false positive"?
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 06:48:32 PM »
Thanks everyone for confirming that the site is still infected.  It's a great pity as I need to buy some particular pieces of furniture for my own business (their prices are lower than average), but the owner doesn't want to hear that he needs a professional to come in and tidy up his computer and website.  Ah well, if he can't be persuaded, I will have to shop elsewhere.

What baffles me is how on earth he's getting any customers at all with that dire Trojan horse warning - or is Avast the only anti-virus software picking up the problem on the furniture site?  When my son uninstalled Norton from my computer and installed Avast (because the computer was running at a snail's pace), he discovered a number of viruses had slipped by Norton.     

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 06:57:33 PM »
When my son uninstalled Norton from my computer and installed Avast (because the computer was running at a snail's pace), he discovered a number of viruses had slipped by Norton.
No security program have 100% detection.
Here you can see one that slipped past avast and Norton  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58394.0
But avast is very god at detecting infected websites

Recomended to use with avast www.malwarebytes.org

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 07:54:06 PM »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 07:55:55 PM »
David, is that script still active like that, or have they just made a mess of cleaning it up?
oh yes I see the analysis - interesting

Yes it is still active as the script tag is intact and would run, attempting to run a javascript file on googie-anaiytics.net, which avast also has on its malicious sites list, image1.