Author Topic: Boot time scan  (Read 15175 times)

Culpeper

Re:Boot time scan
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2003, 05:56:32 PM »
Ok, I guess I'm going to ask a newbie question.
I've installed F-Prot AV for DOS and the updated definition files. Now, how do I get it to do the boot-time scan?
After reading everything at http://www.geocities.com/uzipaz/eng/f-prot.html, I'm beginning to think it's more trouble than it's worth. :o
One of the reasons I liked Avast was the automatic virus definitions download. Might as well go ahead and SHOOT myself in the foot. HaHa!

It is much simplier than you may realize.

put this line in your autoexec.bat file:

c:\f-prot\f-prot c: /collect /nosub

The entire F-prot files should be in a folder named "f-prot" in the C:\ root directory to use the above command line.  This will cause the program to scan the root directoy, memory, and boot sectors during boot up.

Make a back up of your autoexec.bat before making the changes.

You can also test the f-prot program by going into a dos window and using the command line and switches stated above.  Remember, this is a DOS program.

The reason why the boot time scan was excluded in Avast for Win9.x is that it would have needed a similar DOS program, which wasn't worth the effort and time.  It doesn't fit the Avast 4 product line.  My suggestion to use F-prot is just something to fill the void for those that feel they need a boot time scan under Win9.x.

I've tested using F-prot to scan the memory and boot sectors on my Win98 machine and it works fine.  I would suggeste turning off any Win98 splash screens that may appear during boot up.

As for updating F-prot definition files.  They don't supply definition files as often as Avast does.  Just put yourself on the F-prot mailing list from their website and they will notify you when new definition files are available.  Up-to-the-minute definition files are not that critical for the boot up scan procedure.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2003, 06:12:09 PM by Culpeper »

RickyD

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2003, 01:17:24 PM »
Thanks for the info Culpeper. Works like a charm.

The only thing that bothers me about going this route is the size of the F-prot def file "fp-def.zip" is 1185KB this time. Is this the average size of every update?

That was one of the reasons I switched to Avast from AVG. It seemed like most of the AVG updates where 1400+KB.

Oh well, I guess what it all boils down to is, "How bad do we want the boot-time scan ???

Thanks to everyone for all the input.

!!! AVAST ROCKS !!!

Culpeper

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2003, 02:37:57 PM »
 ;D

Yep, those updates are large files for F-prot.  

Culpeper

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2003, 03:15:25 PM »
One more thing.  F-prot is in default report mode.  Adding /DISINF to the command line switches will cause the program to pause if an infected file is found and give you a choice of options on what to do Y/N/A/Q.  

Check scan.txt in the F-prot directory to see how to create a test file (Eicar test file).