Author Topic: Avast and Forticlient VPN software conflict  (Read 12434 times)

Beseated

Avast and Forticlient VPN software conflict
« on: April 14, 2010, 11:22:55 PM »
We've just merged with a new company and they have connected us to their server using Forticlient VPN software.  The issue that it is causing is that I can only go to https websites when the forticlient program is loaded.  All regular http an other websites will not load.  The Forticlient VPN doesn't even need to be connected for this to happen.  There have been two ways to turn this off.  Shutdown Forticlient or turn off webshield in Avast, which I don't like doing.

It might be interesting for me to add that this is happening on both a desk top and laptop, and neither machine has the Forticlient virus software and security installed.  Problem that this is presenting is that I'm not able to be on corporate email and the internet browser at the same time.  It's happening on both Foxfire and Internet Explorer both.

Any suggestions?  We've tried all kinds of things including re-installing both softwares.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Avast and Forticlient VPN software conflict
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 11:55:28 PM »
Try configuring the browser to use a HTTP proxy, with the following parameters

Host: localhost
Port: 12080

More info, plus some videos here: http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=22

Thanks
Vlk
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 11:58:08 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Beseated

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 12:15:36 AM »
That appears to have worked for Internet Explorer!  Next question is how do I change that setting for Foxfire?  Thanks Millions!  I knew it was going to be something real simple.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 12:20:39 AM »
Same procedure for firefox as well.
The KB article (linked above) also has an instructional video for Firefox users (scroll down).
Although it's a bit dated (I think it's like 5 years old) - nothing has changed, really.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Beseated

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 12:55:43 AM »
Found it.  It was right in front of me, but I would have never know about the proxy and port setting.  Next question is now that I've got this working, it give me details of the scan in the lower screen of the browser.  Anyway I can hide that?

LordRaiden

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 06:18:29 AM »
Er, so if I change the proxy settings on the browser will it disable the Web Filter feature of FortiClient?