Author Topic: Win32: malware gen  (Read 2770 times)

LexLeigh

Win32: malware gen
« on: April 19, 2010, 10:54:15 AM »
So, just what is malware gen?  What is 'gen'?  Generator?  General?

I got a false positive a couple of days ago:  Sign of "Win32:Malware-gen" has been found in "D:\hp\apps\APP01894\src\Data1.cab\_B65F4" file.

D:\ partition contains files used to restore the system.  I'm warned not to change anything (and seemed like a weird place for something it infect) so I ran Malwarebytes that's on my PC, and online scans with Kaspersky and F-Secure, with none of them finding the malware gen.  Then I get the bright idea to check the disc I made of the files when I first got the PC (unfortunately it wasn't the first thing I thought to do  ::) ) and Avast flagged it so I was sure it was a false positive.  I reported it as a false positive and the newest iAVS no longer flags it.

Thanks for any info!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

LexLeigh

Re: Win32: malware gen
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 06:54:47 PM »
Ahhh. generic.  Thank you!

That encyclopedia is more informative than what I found and I'll bookmark it for future reference.  When Avast pegged the file the pop-up mentioned 'worm' so it sounds like it flagged something that had general worm-like characteristics.  These incidents are always a learning experience.  I was glad all my armor hadn't been breached.  I think I remember F-Secure from many years ago.