Author Topic: I cannot work out how to set the resident scanner  (Read 6262 times)

martind

I cannot work out how to set the resident scanner
« on: April 29, 2010, 03:25:05 PM »
Hi,

I have had Avast for a while( i currently have home edition 4.8) I have NEVER been able to work out how to set Avast up so that the resident scanner turns on automatically when i boot my pc up. There are no Avast symbols running in the icon tray at the bottom of the screen. Can someone please tell me how to configure this please? 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: I cannot work out how to set the resident scanner
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.

Is there any other antivirus in your computer? Was there in the past?
The best things in life are free.

martind

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
Hi Tech.

I have uninstalled Avast. When i go to the Avast site to download i i am getting ALL SORTS OF CRAP coming up with a download button underneath. I cannot tell which is the actual Avast free edition to click on -very confusing. I clicked on one and it was 46 meg so i stopped the download. What is happening there?

quecentric

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 05:12:55 PM »
Avast now sends you to cnet's Download.com to get the free edition. Be sure to click on the "Download Now" link that has the green arrow next to it (should say something about clicking here if your download doesn't start). The correct download link is not in the header or on the right side of the page.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 06:09:01 PM »
I have uninstalled Avast. When i go to the Avast site to download i i am getting ALL SORTS OF CRAP coming up with a download button underneath. I cannot tell which is the actual Avast free edition to click on -very confusing. I clicked on one and it was 46 meg so i stopped the download. What is happening there?

Direct link for avast! Free AV: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
Something you might find useful - Avast! Free antivirus Quick Start Guide http://files.avast.com/files/documentation/quick-start-guide-free-en-ww.pdf

These links, just right click on them and select save as or save link/file as (depending on the browser you are using), save it to a location on your hard disk where you can find it again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

martind

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 01:32:43 AM »
Thank you ALL.

David R, That was just what i wanted. Clicked on your link, downloaded it,registered it-sorted. Much appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 02:02:49 AM »
No problem, glad I could help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security