Author Topic: Do I have a virus?  (Read 16114 times)

qim

Do I have a virus?
« on: April 30, 2010, 12:07:48 PM »
Yesterday, the computer switched itself off.  I suspected trouble and tried to scan, first with SpyBot, then twich with BitDefender. I am unable to complete the scans because the computer turns itself off.  Yet,<if I jsu leave it alon, it does NOT switch itself off.

I guess I got infected and whatever arraived installed itself when I rebooted.

Help!!!

qim
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 12:47:01 PM by qim »

Hermite15

Re: Got a virus!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 12:22:49 PM »
could be a hardware issue or an OS problem, you should change your thread title to "do I have a virus?" ;)
 More info are needed: can you boot in safe mode?

ps: what's your Windows version?

qim

Re: Do I have a virus?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
I'm sorry!  I did think of over-heating, but it does not esvplain why it only switsched itself off during scans, and not when left alone for long tomes not scanning.  Having said that I now managed to scan with Malwarebytes and the report is clean:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4053

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

30/04/2010 12:27:27
mbam-log-2010-04-30 (12-27-27).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 132422
Time elapsed: 14 minute(s), 38 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 12:46:21 PM by qim »

Hermite15

Re: Got a virus!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 12:35:02 PM »
OK so try to troubleshoot with MSconfig, disabling start up items one by one...there's probably something going wrong with a driver. Look into your Windows events too, look for anything labeled "warning" or "critical".
 You can also try to monitor your system temps and see if anything's overheating, check the fans.

qim

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 12:58:44 PM »
Sorry again. Here goes the rest of the reports. The first thing that I did after rebooting following the first switch-off was to llook into Event Viewer, and there awas nothing unusual.  I will try to run SpyBogain and see what happens.

I could not paste OTL files for being too long.  I hope the attachments show up.

qim

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 01:00:02 PM »
Try again...

qim

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 01:50:45 PM »
I tried to run BitDefender again with the same resul: the computer shuts off after some 20 mins, even though I am at the computer and using mouse to make sure the system does not go to sleep.  The same happened with SpyBotin SAFE Mode.

Meanwhile I had a look at Event Viewer and notice that over the pastr few months Avast has logged some warnings about 'Sign of JSFakeAV-DX[trj] has been found in ..... That was in February.  There are similar entries before that.  More recently the warnings including one TODAY is about Function setiface UpdatePackages() has failed.

Please let me know if you found anything in the logs that I sent and if these entries in EventViwere mean anything to the current problem.

Thank you very much

qim
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 03:51:05 PM by qim »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
Please let me know if you found anything in the logs that I sent and if these entries in EventViwere mean anything to the current problem.
Thank you very much
qim

I read your logs...
Sorry, but refering to the entries in your hosts file section, it seems you got infected. :(
If you still can download and install use this: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 07:05:53 PM »
If you can't download, install and run properly on the infected machine:
- Download this on another machine: http://download1.emsisoft.com/a2usb.zip
- More info here: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/stick/
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

qim

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 08:39:26 PM »
Thanks. I managed to download and run quick scan.  IT found a few atiems and dealet with them. I am now doing a deep scan and it found already Trojan Atrapsik (the i in sick is an inverted exclamation mark).  I googled and read elesewhere about a-squared finding this trojan but that it keeps reappearing. Any ideas what I should do?

Thank you very much

qim

qim

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 09:34:38 PM »
I am attaching the two scan reports.  I quaranteed the trojan files.<I would be grateful for further help.

Many thanks

qim

qim

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 09:36:12 PM »
...and the other report attached.

qim

YoKenny

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 11:50:14 PM »
Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Please select your country: then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.

Hermite15

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 12:24:07 AM »
Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Please select your country: then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.

;D

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 09:54:33 AM »
Thanks. I managed to download and run quick scan.  IT found a few atiems and dealet with them. I am now doing a deep scan and it found already Trojan Atrapsik (the i in sick is an inverted exclamation mark).  I googled and read elesewhere about a-squared finding this trojan but that it keeps reappearing. Any ideas what I should do?
Thank you very much
qim

You're welcome..! :)
If the threat couldn't be fully removed, please read/post here for further instructions:
http://support.emsisoft.com/forum/6-malware-removal-help/
asyn