Author Topic: Error: Cannot connect to server.  (Read 18803 times)

Dyslexic

Error: Cannot connect to server.
« on: May 06, 2010, 10:14:51 PM »
I have read through most of the other similar threads and made no progress. For the record I am a computer repair tech for a living and have used avast for years.

Product: Avast 5 Free (Registered)
Computer: Dell Inspiron 1525 - Celeron 2.00/3GB

General:
Other systems on the network can update.

Info:
Can connect for windows updates
Can surf internet anywhere fine, including avast.com
Can ping avast update servers (downloadXXX.avast.com - Last fail was download642.avast.com, pingable)

Have tried, uninstall/reinstall & repair options.
Have redownloaded avast setup.
Have used aswclear before natural uninstall and after.
Have run removal tools for mcafee and norton, which were previously installed on the system.
Have run CCleaner, checked HiJackThis, and several other manual checks.
Have cleared hosts file.
Have checked IE proxy settings through internet options and also the registry.

Maybe have done some other things, can't remember.

Problem has persisted over 2 days so not a "busy" issue.

System does everything perfectly, except update avast.

Open to any suggestioins. I had this happen on one other system in the past but it turned out to be either the host file or proxy settings. Not the case here. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 12:08:48 AM by Dyslexic »

Hermite15

Re: Error: Cannot connect to server.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 11:51:26 PM »
Hi,

a few others have reported the issue (with updating), it hasn't been addressed so far I think (unless I missed a thread...). Most recurrent issues on Avast 5 reported here are originating from XP computers...don't know if you're on XP, you didn't specify. I don't know, hope someone else here can help, I never had this issue.

Dyslexic

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 12:08:05 AM »
Sorry forgot that very useful information. Vista Home Premium SP2 as specified above now.

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 12:17:55 AM »
the problem is that from what I read in your first post you seem to have eliminated all possible causes already, I think you've checked everything so my best reasonable bet is that there's an issue with Avast most likely, and may be with the free version only...not easy to tell, I wouldn't mind an avast dev to post here. The thing is that the free version "connects" to tens of sites related to web content displayed in the UI like the AIS promo. But I doubt this could interfere as AvastUI (the process that connects) doesn't have anything to do with updates. I blocked it once when I was running the free version and the update process wasn't affected. So, just in case there still would be anything related between those connections when they're established (I have no idea just guessing...) and the update processes, you could always try that (I know some here won't like this suggestion ;D )....block AvastUI with your firewall and see if updating works again...(probably won't ;) )

Dyslexic

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 12:22:19 AM »
I'm really up for trying anything, so I did. No change.

Only thing other I can think is I believe avast was installed prior to SP1 and SP2 being installed. It never asks if avast can connect to the internet on any of the process even though I've reset the windows firewall several times it never asks. It's like it's not really trying to connect.

The other system that did this was XP based.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 12:28:33 AM by Dyslexic »

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 12:28:07 AM »
did you check in the "advanced firewall" interface if there's no rule left behind that could block it?

Dyslexic

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 01:06:06 AM »
did you check in the "advanced firewall" interface if there's no rule left behind that could block it?

Hmm, perhaps this is something I'm not familiar with? I've cleared the exceptions and used the Windows Firewall -> Advanced -> Restore Defaults. That's supposed to clear all rules/exceptions. If theres something else, please elaborate.

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 01:11:08 AM »
okay type "windows firewall with advanced security" in the search box of your Windows menu (I'm on Seven but you got almost the same fw interface in Vista) >>> see screen shot, and check outbound and inbound rules there.

Dyslexic

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 01:34:13 AM »
Interesting. Never had reason to use it I guess. Two Avast rules under inbound, deleted them. No change.

For the heck of it I created rules under outbound for all the relevant avast files and still no change.

Then rebooted just in case, still no change.

Thanks for trying. Avast people you around anywhere, this is very broken...

Dyslexic

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 01:38:49 AM »
Hmm, just solved it.

Settings -> Updates -> Proxy Settings -> Direct Connection (no proxy) instead of Auto detect (use Internet Explorer Settings)

Where does it read these settings because IE works fine, Avast wasn't.. ?

EDIT: Confirmed, changing it back and it breaks again but IE keeps working. Where is Avast looking for IE Proxy Settings?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 01:40:26 AM by Dyslexic »

Hermite15

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 10:35:06 AM »
oh okay, nice you found the parameter that was triggering that ;)

Dyslexic

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 06:58:17 PM »
Still wouldn't call this resolved. Clearly, Avast is broken to some degree. It's using settings that can't be changed by normal means to check for a proxy server. That's broken.

Hermite15

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 07:04:25 PM »
Still wouldn't call this resolved. Clearly, Avast is broken to some degree. It's using settings that can't be changed by normal means to check for a proxy server. That's broken.

I agree the issue can't be considered resolved, but this could also be your proxy settings being broken somehow, because I don't have any problem when switching the proxy setting in Avast.

Dyslexic

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 07:15:15 PM »
The proxy settings that internet explorer uses are not keeping internet explorer offline. Avast, supposedly, uses these same settings but is being kept offline. Something is not right about that and it doesn't sound like internet explorer.

Hermite15

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 07:19:29 PM »
The proxy settings that internet explorer uses are not keeping internet explorer offline. Avast, supposedly, uses these same settings but is being kept offline. Something is not right about that and it doesn't sound like internet explorer.

just tried with IE proxy (switched from "no proxy"), and my update interface still works fine...