Author Topic: System Defend Antivirus 2010 - new rogue AV ?!  (Read 16298 times)

Offline sg09

• Current Technology Discounts
Re: System Defend Antivirus 2010 - new rogue AV ?!
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 12:00:12 PM »
why did you delete the screen shots, that's exactly what we need ??? you could have taken them from the host system ::) anyway, can you describe the behavior of that crap, assuming you tested it in a VM? some say it prompts for a first system check before installing...(mentioned either on wilders or another site...)
Give me some time, I will post them. I am installing it again in VM.

okay ;) >>> please post screen shots not just of the interface of the program, but first of all of suspicious behavior if any, like prompts to remove malware, system behavior change etc...
Okay, but please don't ask me to test with any viruses..Lol.
Okay, before that let me to inform me few things that I remember
1. After installation I saw my security centre service has been disabled. I manually turned it on and it is not registered there.
2. No right click scan support.
3. When I clicked on a brontok worm, it warns with old Avast v4 sound "caution a virus has been detected" and showed a default windows alert box that it has blocked something.exe to copy to system32 folder. :D

Rest I will tell after this testing.  ;)
Anyone who knows how to loose can certainly learn how to win.

Hermite15

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 12:13:34 PM »
okay, I really didn't mean that you had to do all that all over again in my fist answer, so I won't ask you to test any virus either ;D thanks for testing anyway ;) I cannot do it myself since the VM software I use sometimes for Linux doesn't support 64 bit systems, although it says it does ::)

Offline sg09

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 03:08:07 PM »
Hi
I have tested it again and collected 34 screenshots. So please pardon me because it will be hard for me to attach them all one by one. I uploaded all in a zip to mediafire.
The link is
Code: [Select]
http://www.mediafire.com/?jmmwvmm2jynfile name crap.zip    :P
I tested it in WinXP pro 32bit OS in VMWare, 512mb RAM.
Few things I noticed.
1. It disabled Security centre service. May be because it doesn't register itself to security centre.
2. It changed my IE homepage to Blank and also changed some security settings. May be to ease the pop-ups. :P
3. Lots of spelling mistakes and bad grammer. Bad Thai translation.
4. Installation guide tells to disable UAC in win7.

Installation is smooth and so is uninstallation.
After installation is pops up with a window to register with a serial auto-inserted. Unless registration you are entitled to use the program 92times after registration (no email address reqd) upto 31st dec 2014.
The progran frequently hangs and can be turned off easily with or withour taskmanager. memory usage ~64mb.
Lots of tools are there in the interface.

In my opinion it is not rogue but the crappiest AV ever seen by me. The only problem may be the pop-ups that may lead to drive-by-download.

doktornotor

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 03:50:50 PM »
ROTFLMAO. Well, this is my favourite... University Teacher, System Security Analyze, Antivirus Software Developer... my hero  ;D

Hermite15

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 04:12:19 PM »
Hi
I have tested it again and collected 34 screenshots. So please pardon me because it will be hard for me to attach them all one by one. I uploaded all in a zip to mediafire.
The link is
Code: [Select]
http://www.mediafire.com/?jmmwvmm2jynfile name crap.zip    :P
I tested it in WinXP pro 32bit OS in VMWare, 512mb RAM.
Few things I noticed.
1. It disabled Security centre service. May be because it doesn't register itself to security centre.
2. It changed my IE homepage to Blank and also changed some security settings. May be to ease the pop-ups. :P
3. Lots of spelling mistakes and bad grammer. Bad Thai translation.
4. Installation guide tells to disable UAC in win7.

Installation is smooth and so is uninstallation.
After installation is pops up with a window to register with a serial auto-inserted. Unless registration you are entitled to use the program 92times after registration (no email address reqd) upto 31st dec 2014.
The progran frequently hangs and can be turned off easily with or withour taskmanager. memory usage ~64mb.
Lots of tools are there in the interface.

In my opinion it is not rogue but the crappiest AV ever seen by me. The only problem may be the pop-ups that may lead to drive-by-download.

thanks a lot ;) will have a look at your screen shots now...

edit: yeah, seems extremely adware
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 04:14:24 PM by Logos »

Offline sg09

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2010, 04:22:29 PM »
ROTFLMAO. Well, this is my favourite... University Teacher, System Security Analyze, Antivirus Software Developer... my hero  ;D

I knew you gonna like him.. :P

Hermite15

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2010, 04:26:28 PM »
what actually bothers me with that crap is that it's being offered by the same sites offering serious software...well CNet offers Avast too ;D I mean reputed AV companies should contact these well known download sites to ask them to remove that thing...

Offline sg09

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2010, 04:30:03 PM »
what actually bothers me with that crap is that it's being offered by the same sites offering serious software...well CNet offers Avast too ;D I mean reputed AV companies should contact these well known download sites to ask them to remove that thing...
Well I commented there already giving links to discussions at Wilders and here. But if they look at that it's OK, else...

The most funniest thing with this crap is that it MIMICS AVAST in the alert sound.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2010, 01:49:30 PM »
ROTFLMAO. Well, this is my favourite... University Teacher, System Security Analyze, Antivirus Software Developer... my hero  ;D

Here's some more info on this guy: http://en.tackfilm.se/?id=1274010321542RA77
(keep your speakers on)

Take it easy guys, and have a nice Sunday ;)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline sg09

doktornotor

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2010, 04:15:26 PM »
Here's some more info on this guy: http://en.tackfilm.se/?id=1274010321542RA77
(keep your speakers on)

Wow! He's really famous  ;D ;D ;D