Author Topic: Alarms!  (Read 4026 times)

webecampin

Alarms!
« on: July 15, 2004, 04:31:58 PM »
Just got a clean computer with Windows 2000 and installed Avast.  When I'm on the internet, an alarm goes off in the computer and the screen starts flashing.  What's up and how do I fix it?  There are no other virus software's to conflict.  

Offline radicalb21

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Be Safe. Be Smart. Use Common Sense.
Re:Alarms!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 04:48:37 PM »
First let me welcome you to the forum. First off i need some more information. What did the pop-up show. Did you have certain windows os patches in place prior to going on-line? If you didn't then you probably became infected by more than one virus. Is windows now up to date. You need to give me as much information as possible so I can help you or if I can't other will be able to.
iMac 21.5 " Mid 2011 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

webecampin

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 05:03:12 PM »
As I said, this computer was like "new" on Monday.  It has nothing on it.  I downloaded the Avast and some other software programs i.e. Microsoft products, Earthlink toolbar and maybe one other. This doesn't occur off line, but online it will just freeze up, alarm goes off and the screen blinks.  One time the alarm went off, screen was ok and you could continue to surf but the sound did get annoying.  The operating system is Windows 2000 and there was absolutely nothing done prior to these events (like patches).  I haven't gone to Microsoft for any updates on Windows 2000 yet.  Could that possibly be the problem or nothing to do with Avast?  I was thinking it had a firewall problem, but I see Avast doesn't have a firewall.  Again, no other virus program to conflict with.

Hawk

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 06:32:06 PM »
What alarm? It's a virus alarm? The sound comes from your Pc Speaker? Be more clear. Maybe it's some kind of temp. alarm. What's your CPU temp?
Hope this helps

Negeltu

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 11:58:35 PM »
I recommend that you update with windows update as soon as possible...  See if that works.

techie101

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 01:20:34 AM »
webe,

The first thing you need to clarify is what is flashing on your screen.....Is it a Virus Warning Alert?  If so, this is accompanied by a siren type audio.  It will also state what the name of the suspected file is.

Anything other than the above is not necessarily related to Avast.

More information is needed.