Author Topic: More than 4 minutes to startup services  (Read 3661 times)

Shavea

More than 4 minutes to startup services
« on: May 28, 2010, 11:22:04 AM »
Hi everyone.

I´ve got a problem when I startup my computer. I´ve Vista and everything was right till some days ago. And after searchiong about the problem I saw in my event viewer that Avast startup was waiting for more than 4 minutes to startup.

Has anyone this problem? how can I solve it?

My version of Avast is 5.0.545

Thanks in advance.

SafeSurf

Re: More than 4 minutes to startup services
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 12:07:27 PM »
Does the orange ball in the bottom toolbar for Avast have a symbol in it like a red "X" or a yellow triangle with an "!" in it?

What else is starting up when your machine boots up besides Avast? 

Are you getting any other errors with Avast once it begins to work?  Are your definitions up to date?

Did you upgrade or do a clean install of this build of Avast?

Did you have any other antivirus on your machine prior to Avast?

Do you have any other resident software running on your machine?  Firewall, other scanners, etc.?  More info. would help.

Shavea

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 12:55:03 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

1.- Does the orange ball in the bottom toolbar for Avast have a symbol in it like a red "X" or a yellow triangle with an "!" in it?
No, it works properly.

2.- What else is starting up when your machine boots up besides Avast?
Only printer Epson and 2 programs for backup, I don´t like to have many applications at startup.

4.- Are you getting any other errors with Avast once it begins to work?  Are your definitions up to date?
No, any errors. It works properly and I have the definitions up to date everyday.

5.- Did you upgrade or do a clean install of this build of Avast?
Yes, it´s updated to the last version.

6.- Did you have any other antivirus on your machine prior to Avast?
No, only Avast and Windows Defender.

7.- Do you have any other resident software running on your machine?  Firewall, other scanners, etc.?  More info. would help.
Well, the Windows Firewall but not any other software with the same utilities.

I´ve tried another test. I´ve started Windows in Safe mode and disabled the Avast Service and started again Windows. Now, the start was faster as before, no problem. I started again Windows and enabled Avast and the system is slow again, more than 4 minutes to start.

I was thinking on uninstall and install again Avast but I´m not sure it will fix the problem.

Thanks and regards.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 02:00:12 PM »
The option in the Troubleshooting tab of settings of loading avast services after the system ones will help?
The best things in life are free.

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 06:37:37 AM »
Shavea,

It sounds like something is loading on your system PRIOR to Avast, and that is why it is taking so long for Avast to start up. 

It sounds like your Windows Defender (WD) is resident and perhaps loading prior to Avast.  How do you feel about changing WD to on-demand since you have Avast as resident?  This may resolve your problem.  Trying this will save you a lot of time before doing an uninstall/install. 

marc-d-l

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 07:38:00 AM »
I had exactly the same problem,in my case after days of trying this and that I stopped Java update from starting at boot.Now it only takes 1min 28 seconds to full use.Worth a try.

Shavea

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 09:59:40 AM »
Thanks everyone.

I´ve just tried all possibilities but the only one that works is to reinstall Avast. Now, the system is fully working in less than 1 minute.

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 10:13:04 AM »
I had the same problem with 5.0.545 on Vista and only complete reinstallation of Avast solved the problem. The problem appeared after I upgraded on-line from 5.0.507 to 5.0.545. If you install 5.0.545 from scratch, everything works all right.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 10:17:32 AM by George Yves »
May the FOSS be with you!