Author Topic: Update Recommendation?  (Read 7230 times)

forumguy88

Update Recommendation?
« on: June 02, 2010, 06:10:29 PM »
Hi,

I've got an old laptop, going on 4 years. It's a Lenovo, with an Intel T2300 1.66 GHz processor, and 512 RAM. I currently run avast! 4.8 and find that it does slow down my computer slightly.

I was hoping to update to the newest version 5.whatever but I don't want it to slow down my laptop. Does the newest version use a lot of system resources compared to 4.8? I know the system requirements say 128 RAM only, but I already find 4.8 slowed my computer.

Thanks for your help

Nex Necis

Re: Update Recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 06:17:43 PM »
If you fastidiously scour through the settings there are quite a few ways to lighten the load on your cpu.  I'm running Avast!5 on an 11 year old computer without too much slow down.

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 06:18:46 PM »
If you don't have the choice, ie if you can't upgrade to a faster system, you should stick to something really light like MSE. I wouldn't go for Avast 5 on such a system. But wait a little, and I'm pretty sure others here will tell you just the contrary ;)

EntitY

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 06:53:27 PM »

robinb

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 06:57:35 PM »
i have put AVASt on a 5 yr old Toshiba laptop running xp home sp3 with no problems.  In fact i tried MSE first and the computer crawled.  Removed it and put AVAST5 and their was no spike at all in cpu usage or anything else.

PapaSmurf

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 06:58:33 PM »
I tend to agree with Logos on this one.
An older system may not be able to handle some
of the newer developments in program technology.
Having said that, I did come bearing a link you
might be interested in. I have used it in the past
for older systems....

http://www.oldversion.com/

You may be able to find some older versions that will work better
for you. Remember, older versions may no longer be supported,
so no updates will be possible. The first thing I have always
done in this case is turn off auto update feature in whatever
software that I chose to use. This is just a suggestion,
and in no way should be taken as advice from !avast, or anyone who works
for them...which I do not.

0strodamus

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 09:02:14 PM »
I'm running avast! 5 Free on a netbook without any issues. My processor is newer than yours, but the atom may not be any faster. I did a custom install with just the network, behavior, and file shields so that may make a difference.

coolsilver

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 05:37:11 AM »
A newer processor even on a netbook has newer instruction sets it can handle. Even if it is the same speed the instruction set and overall architecture will determine the speed.

Older systems still have a low FSB speed and lower memory that causes a lot of headaches. That is if the OS isn't already a limiting factor.

Light Archangel

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 06:19:19 AM »
avast! 5 don't slow down my computer, and Read my signature!!  ;)

Greetings

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
Just tested if it could be done on an XP SP3 Pro 512 RAM dial-up (cough).  Avast works fine.  I thought if Light Archangel could do it, so could I with these set ups, so you should do fine.  Try it and see if it works for you.  I've found avast to be much lighter than others.

Also try decreasing the amount of System Restore you have set to help give you more memory; default is usually set pretty high and you usually don't need that much.  Remember to defrag to clean your machine and working more efficiently.  Try installing a free tool like CCleaner http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ to get rid of unwanted crap in your PC that accumulates and slows your machine down as well. 

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 03:57:55 PM »
Download CrapCleaner directly from Piriform without the Yahoo Toolbar from http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds.  Scroll down to the bottom of the page to the Slim version. ;)
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

sded

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 04:06:46 PM »
I have used both Avast! 5 and MSE on a 7yo XP laptop and didn't note significant differences.  If you do find a slowdown, one thing you can do is remove some of the Avast! real time shields (which MSE doesn't have anyway) and keep the ones that do not slow down your particular usage pattern.  You do get more features, more control, and generally more timely updates with Avast! 5.

Light Archangel

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 03:28:31 AM »
With avast! default settings the avast processes are using 10-15 mb of RAM (is Light) ;D
And also...
I use CCleaner and Defraggler Regularly to Speed up My system:
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/slim
http://www.piriform.com/defraggler/download/slim

The specs of my pc are:
Pentium III
256 mb RAM
1.0 Ghz processor

Yes, i know that i'm limited, but avast! don't slow down my system  ;)

greetings

SafeSurf

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 06:38:21 AM »
@ Gopher John,

When you D/L CCleaner, you have the option under Custom install of not installing the yahoo toolbar.  I don't D/L anything I don't need or trust.

PapaSmurf

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 06:45:43 AM »
Download CrapCleaner directly from Piriform without the Yahoo Toolbar from http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds.  Scroll down to the bottom of the page to the Slim version. ;)

TY for that. I use CCleaner and did not even notice the slim version was offered.
I found it kinda interesting that the tool bar was as big a file as the program itself.  ;)

@SafeSurf
Yes, I did opt out of the tool bar during set up. It seems that now they do offer a slim version, without tool bar. :)