Author Topic: How does the Avast Team make money?  (Read 12162 times)

GloobyGoob

How does the Avast Team make money?
« on: June 04, 2010, 11:24:04 PM »
Quote from: vlk link=http://news.softpedia.com/news/Softpedia-Exclusive-Interview-avast-5-140693.shtml date=May 1st, 2010, 04:28 GMT
While we don’t disclose the exact numbers, I can say that the actual percentage of people who upgrade to the paid product is in low single digits. These numbers significantly differ country by country; the conversion rates in the English speaking countries are typically the highest.

Single digits?! :o Surely they can't just rely on people purchasing their paid products, can they? Most users stick with the free version. And now they're paying for phone support, how can they afford it and still pay salaries? ??? I've been wondering this for a long time. Any thoughts? :P   

Hermite15

Re: How does the Avast Team make money?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 11:26:59 PM »
been wondering too in another thread here today, I just haven't got a clue...

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 11:59:55 PM »
I know.

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 12:02:51 AM »
you know what ???

crofty59

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 07:10:28 AM »
Quote from: vlk link=http://news.softpedia.com/news/Softpedia-Exclusive-Interview-avast-5-140693.shtml date=May 1st, 2010, 04:28 GMT
While we don’t disclose the exact numbers, I can say that the actual percentage of people who upgrade to the paid product is in low single digits. These numbers significantly differ country by country; the conversion rates in the English speaking countries are typically the highest.

Single digits?! :o Surely they can't just rely on people purchasing their paid products, can they? Most users stick with the free version. And now they're paying for phone support, how can they afford it and still pay salaries? ??? I've been wondering this for a long time. Any thoughts? :P   

Maybe they rely mainly on selling their software to the business community.

cheers

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 08:40:10 AM »
I know.

He being a smartarse noisy judge for being "I know" to much ;D with a lousy wooden cheap hammer :P would that make sense to you Logos
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 08:42:33 AM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 07:03:42 PM »
Well small amount doesn't mean little incoming :)
Well in 100 000 000 let's take about 1 per cent of it 1 000 000 people buy this per year isn't that already enough?

poppie

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 08:44:45 AM »
they get the money from google. avast! free asks users to install google chrome during installation ;)
Just my guess ;D

Dch48

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 01:45:14 AM »
they get the money from google. avast! free asks users to install google chrome during installation ;)
Just my guess ;D

That's one way.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 01:57:45 AM »
When I registered avast! 5, they asked which product I would be interested in, from a drop down list I chose "stand alone" fw.

Is that fw a stand alone version of the avast! fw or some other fw ???

Dch48

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 02:34:47 AM »
I think they just want to know what people would like them to offer now or in the future.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 02:57:42 AM »
Is that fw a stand alone version of the avast! fw
No. It's a suite (antivirus + firewall).
The best things in life are free.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 02:59:18 AM »
The point I'm making is if they are making money by asking us to download Chrome, maybe they will "offer" some freeware fw.

With all the time & effort that went into their fw, I don't think they will give it away.

The avast! fw is a pretty much a basic two way fw, what could you take from it to separate it from Pro fw vs Free?

Make it noisy?  Make it one way?  Nobody would want it!

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 04:37:05 AM »
I don't know the definitive answer but I do know business in general, and simply, Avast is a very small company with a disproportionally enormous profile and distribution channel.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25