Author Topic: A-Squared found a Trojan in AVAST Home Edition executable  (Read 10960 times)

bigspanner

A-Squared found a Trojan in AVAST Home Edition executable
« on: June 05, 2010, 11:58:25 AM »
Can someone knowledgeable give me advice on what is happening?
Emsisoft A-Squared found this Trojan-Crypt!IK in Avast's ashserv.exe.

Even though I tick the radio button in A-Squared to Exclude Avast from A-Squared protection, A-Squared
still returns the same Alert.

Is this a false positive?

Finally, do you think I should just use Emsisoft A-Squared as a scanner-on-demand rather than on-access protection as I think A-Squared is conflicting with Avast.

This problem only happened this past week and I'm getting frustrating with the Alert.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached screenshot showing the Alert and the path of the infection:

Altarir.

Re: A-Squared found a Trojan in AVAST Home Edition executable
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 01:57:54 PM »
Is this a false positive?

A-squared is full of them.

Finally, do you think I should just use Emsisoft A-Squared as a scanner-on-demand rather than on-access protection as I think A-Squared is conflicting with Avast.

using more than one on-access scanner is a bad idea.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 02:03:44 PM by Altarir. »

13thSlayer

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 01:58:18 PM »
Definetly FP, A-Squared is full of them
using more than one on-demand scanner is a bad idea.
On-demand ones are fine (many use Avast+MBAM), but however resident ones conflict with each other, and using more then one resident scanner is bad.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 02:03:23 PM »
Another reason to NOT trust in a-squared TONS of false positives.
Anyway, two scanners at the same time could conflict. That is an avast temporary file.
By the way, why are you still using version 4.8  ::) Upgrade  :)
The best things in life are free.

bigspanner

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 06:18:30 PM »
Thanks Everyone, for the help.

So, it is a FP from A-Squared and it targets ashserv.exe everytime it creates a temporary executable file.
What I showed in the screenshot is just one of the temporary files that ashserv.exe creates.

I'm turning off on-access resident protection for A-Squared. In fact, I've half a mind to uninstall it since
it is prone to FS and there it is tedious to analyse which alert is a FS and which one is not.

Saty

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 06:26:59 PM »
I tried A-squared myself for a few days, and like you said, it gets tedious researching false postives.

So I uninstalled it. MBAM and SAS on demand is good enough for Me.

Sat

bigspanner

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 06:39:20 PM »
Another reason to NOT trust in a-squared TONS of false positives.
Anyway, two scanners at the same time could conflict. That is an avast temporary file.
By the way, why are you still using version 4.8  ::) Upgrade  :)

Hi Tech,

Is this the latest version? Avast Free Antivirus 5.0.545.100524
It is from this link: http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

Can I just simply download and install this version without the need to un-install the present version 4.8 that I'm having?

I really do not know why I'm still using version 4.8. Every now and then, I'll click "Update" at the system tray. I'll faithfully update iAVS as well as update Program. I have no idea version 5 is available, as Avast did not prompt me.

Please kindly advise. Thanks.

bigspanner

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 06:44:13 PM »
I tried A-squared myself for a few days, and like you said, it gets tedious researching false postives.

So I uninstalled it. MBAM and SAS on demand is good enough for Me.

Sat

Hi Saty,

What is SAS? Do you mean SuperAntiSpyware from http://www.superantispyware.com ?

I'm using another anti-malware software known as SpywareBlaster and of course Sybot & Destroy.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 06:47:45 PM »
1. Is this the latest version? Avast Free Antivirus 5.0.545.100524

2. Can I just simply download and install this version without the need to un-install the present version 4.8 that I'm having?

1. Direct link for the latest free version (5.0.545): http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
2. Usually yes..!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

13thSlayer

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 06:57:32 PM »

2. Can I just simply download and install this version without the need to un-install the present version 4.8 that I'm having?

1. Direct link for the latest free version (5.0.545): http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
2. Usually yes..!
asyn

2. LIES. You have to remove the current version (rather, update) in order to install new one

Altarir.

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 07:00:20 PM »

2. Usually yes..!
asyn

2. LIES. You have to remove the current version (rather, update) in order to install new one

wrong, 13th, asyn is correct. installing avast 5 over 4.8 is fine

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 07:12:05 PM »
wrong, 13th, asyn is correct. installing avast 5 over 4.8 is fine
correct, it will then also  read the  register info from avast 4.8

but some have lots of problems after installing it this way, so i would go for the uninnstall first and then install V5

Saty

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 07:13:55 PM »
@ bigspanner

yes, My mistake, SAS is superantispyware, your link is correct.

Spyware Blaster is a good immunization tool. Im not to sure if Spybot search and destroy is any good, as I dont use it, and havnt really seen it recommended here.

Usually you can upgrade to 5 on top of 4.8,  I did, and didnt have any problems. if you have problems you'll need to do a complete unistall via the control panel. Which is usually enough, if not the removal tool will need to be used. There's been different steps in doing this exactly so if you have problems, just ask and someone will help you.

Sat

bigspanner

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 07:29:43 PM »
@ bigspanner

Usually you can upgrade to 5 on top of 4.8,  I did, and didnt have any problems. if you have problems you'll need to do a complete unistall via the control panel. Which is usually enough, if not the removal tool will need to be used. There's been different steps in doing this exactly so if you have problems, just ask and someone will help you.

Sat

I've two questions.

1) Most likely I'll be un-installing version 4.8 using Revo Un-installer. That means, I'll be removing the program as well as all the leftover files. My question then is what will happen to those Quarantined files in Avast Chest? Will these files be deleted during the un-install?

2) I've a licence key for version 4.8. Can I still use the same licence key for version 5?

Thanks in advance.

Saty

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 07:32:58 PM »
Id suggest if your liscence key is up todate on 4.8 to upgrade on top with 5, the update should read your key and carry over.

if you do need to get unistall 4.8 yourself, those files in quarentine go  along with it, no worries.

Sat