Author Topic: Avast Fixes Blocked  (Read 2711 times)

bwob

Avast Fixes Blocked
« on: June 08, 2010, 05:47:35 AM »
The other day Avast! (Pro V4.8) encountered a virus/worm that was in memory and a boot scan was advised. This happened three years earlier, so I started the boot scan and went to bed since I know they can take hours with three hard disks partitioned seven ways. Waking up in the morning I was told Avast! found something and I was offered the usual choices. I tried "Send to Chest" but got a row of digits telling me it was impossible. I tried "Delete" and got a similar warning, this with a different set of digits. This was all in the two-tone blue Windows boot window.

In the end, none of the options worked ("Ignore" excepted, since I did not want to try that one), so I hit escape to end my misery - temporarily - and started the computer in Safe Mode. I then started the usual Avast! scanner. In due time it found this:

I (again) selected "Move to Chest" and was greeted by this dialog:

Hitting return brought the original warning dialog up. This time I hit the "Delete" button, the warning dialog disappeared and the scan continued. It is continuing as I write this, in fact. Am I doing this all right?

Thanks in advance to any and all who may be able to help a computer ignorant person like myself.

bwob

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Avast Fixes Blocked
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 06:22:31 AM »
It's not possible to know without the earlier detections, esp the one that prompted you to run the boot scan.
In your screenshots the detection relates to an item in a restore point. Possibly Avast is unable to process it because the restore point is too large for the chest, or is locked. This can be easily removed by cleaning all restore points. (instructions below.)

First, I would get a second opinion from a good demand scanner, such as MBAM. Install  the free version, update it, run a quick scan, and post the scan report.

Prior to doing this you may want to run a disk cleanup, using the built in disk cleaning utility in Windows. (Start>all programs>accessories>system tools>disk cleanup).

To delete restore points (and any contained malware within) go to "control panel>system", or right click the "my computer" icon and select "properties", select the system restore tab, then tick "turn off system restore on all drives". Reboot. Turn it back on again.

You are using an out of date version of Windows, SP3 has been available for some time and addresses several vulnerabilities.
I recommend updating to the latest version of Avast at some point. Likely that this year sometime version 4.8 will no longer be supported.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 06:24:58 AM by Tarq57 »
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.