Author Topic: Deployed Vista Client shows Avast not installed in ADNM  (Read 4697 times)

BHARRINGTON

Deployed Vista Client shows Avast not installed in ADNM
« on: June 08, 2010, 06:37:26 PM »
I've just deployed about 20 clients on my 2003 domain. Deployment went smoothly except for a few windows firewall issues and one vista client that refuses to communicate with ADMN. The firewall issue was an easy fix but this one client is beyond me. The client was deployed and installed without any problem but does not show up in ADMN as an installed client. It shows up in the list of computers with no client installed. Going to the vista machine I find Avast! Managed in the program group and can run it but it seems to be running as a stand alone installation. Here is what I've noticed, if I run and update this client does not use the mirror. It updates from the Avast servers. I checked the license information and the license file says it's a demo. I can add the license file supplied with my download manually but the license wouldn't be managed by ADMN. I've tried un-installing the client and re-deploying it but I get the same result. I've pretty much run out of ideas so any you may have would be appreciated.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: Deployed Vista Client shows Avast not installed in ADNM
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 08:03:09 PM »
Hmph.  That's odd.

Well, you could try using the uninstaller utility to clean up the installation fully on that Vista box.  First, download the uninstall utility from http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to the C:\ or wherever is convenient for you.  Next, uninstall through "Programs" in Control Panel.

Reboot the computer in safe mode, and run the uninstall utility.  Point it to C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4

Reboot again and attempt the installation again.

It's important to know that if you had another vendor's A/V product on this machine previously, it's good to run their uninstall utility as well.

It doesn't seem like a firewall problem, as you were able to push the installation in the first place.  I've had / have Vista clients on 2k3 domains and yes, the firewalls can be a problem, but the installation does work.  You have enough licenses for all the machines on your network, right?
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

BHARRINGTON

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 09:36:56 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion but no luck. Uninstalled Avast then re-booted to safe mode and ran the aswclear5 utility which reported removing Avast. Then re-booted Vista and re-deployed Avast from ADNM. Avast installed fine and is on the machine but ADNM still reports the client is not installed. I'm able to open Avast on the machine but if I update, it does not use the mirror, I'm able to change to the advanced user interface without the admin password and the license is shown as a demo. Anyone else have an idea?

Additional information:

I went an found the logs for the client and these are the errors being produced. Maybe this will help.

6/8/2010 3:20:49 PM   SYSTEM   5828   Third server conn attempt (last good: 0.0.0.0:16111) failed. (error 00002741). 
6/8/2010 3:20:59 PM   SYSTEM   5828   Cannot connect Server lookup didn't find any AMS'! socket, WinSock error 0x00000000 has occurred. 
6/8/2010 3:21:14 PM   SYSTEM   5828   avast! Antivirus service is not running, computer is not protected. The agent is now starting the service. 
6/8/2010 3:21:18 PM   SYSTEM   6064   AAVM - initialization error: Network Shield provider: driver open failed, error code: 0x2 , 00000000. 
6/8/2010 3:21:18 PM   SYSTEM   6064   AAVM - initialization error: g_tdi.Initialize failed! (logName: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\nshield.log), 00000000. 
6/8/2010 3:21:48 PM   SYSTEM   5828   Third server conn attempt (last good: 0.0.0.0:16111) failed. (error 00002741). 
6/8/2010 3:21:57 PM   SYSTEM   5828   Cannot connect Server lookup didn't find any AMS'! socket, WinSock error 0x00000000 has occurred.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 09:43:18 PM by BHARRINGTON »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 05:48:14 PM »
I found this post that had your error.  VLK seems right that the client doesn't know the address of the ADNM server.  Check your Avast4.ini and see what it says.  You might be able to change it manually and see if it starts responding again.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=22066.msg184102#msg184102
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 05:49:20 PM »