Author Topic: I present you a case of Avast failing...  (Read 2781 times)

Yushatak

I present you a case of Avast failing...
« on: June 09, 2010, 02:52:26 AM »

Apparently it detects any encrypted stream and assumes it's an email transfer. I didn't need this message box to come up and inform me of an encrypted torrent transfer. Just thought I'd let you guys know of this glitch.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: I present you a case of Avast failing...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 03:02:48 AM »
avast does not scan any encrypted content (email, https, files...).
Please, elaborate. Which is the error and which is the avast fault?
I suppose you know that encryption is to avoid opening the content (i.e., no antivirus will scan it...).
The best things in life are free.

zfactor

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 03:19:14 AM »
i was just going to post what tech already said. no av will scan things encrypted... but avast WILL scan the files once extracted or de-crypted so why worry about it. its not going to do much unless you open it or run the files anyway

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 03:35:35 AM »
i was just going to post what tech already said. no av will scan things encrypted... but avast WILL scan the files once extracted or de-crypted so why worry about it. its not going to do much unless you open it or run the files anyway
+1
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 04:06:17 AM »

Apparently it detects any encrypted stream and assumes it's an email transfer. I didn't need this message box to come up and inform me of an encrypted torrent transfer. Just thought I'd let you guys know of this glitch.

It would only assume it is email traffic, if your torrent is incorrectly using an email port, 25, 110, 119 or 143 to either communicate or download as that is what it is designed to do intercept the standard email ports.

So what port was your torrent using (either for communication or transfer) ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security