Author Topic: V5 sandbox  (Read 3829 times)

DavidCo

V5 sandbox
« on: June 09, 2010, 05:14:21 PM »
I am using V5 free with file,mail & web modules running.
I did have the behaviour module but found that over time there was a slow down. Easily noticed was a lag when right click for context menu in IE8. Uninstalled 'B' module and all good.
I did not install the network module as I assumed it would duplicate IE8 'Smart Shield'  ???

I have found it to be very light and am thinking about the additional Sandbox of the Pro version.
What impact on resources does this have.

Cheers

YoKenny

Re: V5 sandbox
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 07:40:54 PM »
What operating system and Service Pack level are you running ???
What is the system CPU type and speed and RAM amount ???

From Real-time shields Help
Network shield - monitors all network activity and blocks any threats that are detected on the network. It also blocks access to known malicious websites based on the avast! database of infected URLs.

The Sandbox is good and this is in the Help
This is a completely new feature in avast! Pro antivirus and avast! Internet Security which allows you to browse the web or run another application in a completely safe environment. This is especially useful when visiting high-risk web sites, whether accidentally or deliberately, as the browser will be completely contained within the sandbox, preventing any damage to your computer.

The sandbox can also be used to run any other applications which you think may be suspect - you can run the program inside the sandbox to determine whether or not it is safe while remaining completely protected against any malicious actions that it may try to carry out.

DavidCo

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 08:00:43 PM »
Vista HP 32bit, SP2, all up to date (today)
E8500 3.16Ghz
4GB ram
512GB graphics
Asus P5Q Delux

I am aware of the 'Network Shield' def' but wondered if it was overkill/duplicate whilst using IE8 'Smart Shield'
I have read that the sandbox causes a 2 second delay?

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 08:09:09 PM »
I have read that the sandbox causes a 2 second delay?

You're probably referring to this quote on wilders: "Sandbox performance is good. There is only a delay while you open the application (matter of 1-2 seconds). After that I don't notice any delays. "

This should happen only with IE browsers: it performs a lot of file activities during startup and avast sandbox needs to handle them, that's why the startup is slower. This should be eliminated in the next public build.

DavidCo

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 08:19:54 PM »
@pk
That was in reply to my op on the Wild side
I like to know things before - put it down to old age :-[
I thought that I'd sign up here as I think I will go for 2years (nice price)

Thanks for the advice, with a fix to the sys restore as well things should be good

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 08:31:10 PM »
Thanks for the advice, with a fix to the sys restore as well things should be good

This issue is already fixed by today's private build.