Author Topic: What are some good HIPS Programs?  (Read 9033 times)

BRANDONN2008

What are some good HIPS Programs?
« on: June 10, 2010, 02:26:15 AM »
What are some good (free) HIPS programs that work alongside Avast? I've been waiting for GeSWall 3, but I have no idea when it is being released.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: What are some good HIPS Programs?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 02:53:14 AM »
ThreatFire (more a behavior analysis tool than HIPS) works fine.
The best things in life are free.

ardvark

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 04:43:09 AM »
Hi...

Spyware Terminator might be a good choice. If you have problems with the latest version, try 2.3. If I remember correctly, it comes with a toolbar that you may or may not want but I think you are given the choice whether to install it or not. :)

Regards...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 04:45:19 AM by ardvark »

Dch48

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 05:02:55 AM »
The Comodo Firewall has an excellent HIPS component if that's what you want. It's free too. You didn't say whether you wanted it alongside the Avast! AV or the complete suite. Other free Firewalls that employ HIPS are PC Tools, Online Armor, and Outpost.

BRANDONN2008

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 05:41:25 AM »
The Comodo Firewall has an excellent HIPS component if that's what you want. It's free too. You didn't say whether you wanted it alongside the Avast! AV or the complete suite. Other free Firewalls that employ HIPS are PC Tools, Online Armor, and Outpost.

The Comodo firewall with the HIPS has always been tempting after seeing how well it performed in a video review, but Comodo seems to be a love/hate thing since there's the controversy over their certificates they issue.

llariel

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 05:43:37 AM »

ZoneAlarm include HIPS feature or not?

Dch48

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 09:30:07 AM »
I don't think it does but I might be wrong.

Dch48

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 09:34:39 AM »

The Comodo firewall with the HIPS has always been tempting after seeing how well it performed in a video review, but Comodo seems to be a love/hate thing since there's the controversy over their certificates they issue.
That's really much ado about nothing. Every certificate issuing company has had the same thing happen but none were as fast at revoking them after finding out they were issued to the wrong people as Comodo. People tried to make it look like the certificates were knowingly sold to malware authors but that's just ridiculous.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 10:41:16 AM »
The Comodo Firewall has an excellent HIPS component if that's what you want. It's free too.

+1
But I don't think you can install/use the D+ component only.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 10:58:41 AM »
If you are looking to run something along with avast, you may want to consider PrevX (free) or resident http://www.prevx.com/.  I've had no conflicts using both products (I use the resident version of both) and have never been infected.

I also agree with Dch48 comments about the firewalls that use HIPS (PCTools, Online Armor, and OutPost) that are compatible with avast, since I have tested all of them.

Hermite15

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 12:05:26 PM »

ZoneAlarm include HIPS feature or not?

no, and PCtools firewall doesn't either. Adding: for some reason (off topic here) I'm running CIS (firewall only) again, and just FYI I disabled the HIPS. HIPS is something you can really live without ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 01:58:17 PM »
I'm running CIS (firewall only) again, and just FYI I disabled the HIPS. HIPS is something you can really live without ;D
Wow! Wow2!
I mean, you're using Comodo.
You're blaming against HIPS.
I'm surprised!
The best things in life are free.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 02:18:14 PM »

I'm running CIS (firewall only) again, and just FYI I disabled the HIPS. HIPS is something you can really live without ;D

Logos come on buddy start using the D+ (HIPS) you'll love it when you set your Comodo to Proactive Security mode, this will make your Comodo hard as a 900mm thick reinforced concrete unbreakable wall ;D and skip the sandbox for a while until further improvement ;) ;D

PS. I'm switching over to v4.1 very soon ;)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 02:19:46 PM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Hermite15

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 02:26:06 PM »
hmm...Speedy, thanks for the useful tip ;D , but I've used Def+ during years already, I just decided to not use it anymore. As to the sandbox, I've tested it too a few times :D >>> it's off of course ::) The AV's not even worth mentioning. I'll just stick with this firewall as long as there are no significant improvement in AIS firewall, but that's another topic.

ps: adding that Def+ in its latest version brings issues with Chrome off and on, and Avast virtualization module, even if Comodo sandbox is disabled (ie programs would randomly not start at all virtualized with Avast)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 02:29:01 PM by Logos »

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 02:31:25 PM »
hmm...Speedy, thanks for the useful tip ;D , but I've used Def+ during years already, I just decided to not use it anymore. As to the sandbox, I've tested it too a few times :D >>> it's off of course ::) The AV's not even worth mentioning. I'll just stick with this firewall as long as there are no significant improvement in AIS firewall, but that's another topic.

Logos.....The firewall is okay but may I ask why are you giving up on the D+ ???, beside your just using a plain concrete firewall without reinforcing bars :o

ps: adding that Def+ in its latest version brings issues with Chrome off and on, and Avast virtualization module, even if Comodo sandbox is disabled (ie programs would randomly not start at all virtualized with Avast)

Wrong! unless you set your firewall and D+ to training mode reboot your PC, while comodo is at training mode start using your Chrome while your at training mode for a while then switch it both to safe mode and your ready to go ;) and the some thing goes to all your everyday software used ;)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 02:39:13 PM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip