Author Topic: Problem with sudden Firefox slowing  (Read 27955 times)

Offline HPY

• hpy
Problem with sudden Firefox slowing
« on: June 18, 2010, 09:14:34 AM »
I use a laptop with good LAN web connection, 4 GB RAM, Avast 5 backup up by the Firefox Add-Ons Addblock-Plus and NoScript, with the Free Threatfire running in the background. I occasionally activate SuperAntispyware which so far has only detected relatively harmless single Cookies (like double-Click or such).

Considering all these privacy measures are free I consider myself pretty well covered, but suspect that Avast alone would probably do the job.

These past few days my Firefox (latest edition) has been slowing to snail's pace – almost freezing, with the hard disk churning in protest. I cannot figure out why and so suddenly – I have plenty of disk space (75%+), use CCleaner once a week when more than 150 MB needs cleaning, I have also used Ccleaner's register cleaner which cleans out traces of old programs – although I am not sure if tampering with the registry is a good idea, especially since Ccleaner finds so few issues there – but I cannot see any harm in clearing out traces of deinstalled progs.

My hunch is that the Firefox slows everytime I log into a discussion forum powered by Disqus on the Daily Telegraph.

Any ideas?

regards
windows 10 version 1809 (Build 17763.195) 64 bit home - ACER Aspire 17 SSD  Processor Pentium CPU N4200 @ 1.10 GHz. - HD graphics - 4GB RAM -
Avast free. Windows Defender. Malwarebytes free scan.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Problem with sudden Firefox slowing
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 01:15:41 PM »
If you have few extension installed, I would suggest a clean installation of Firefox.
Delete your files, settings, cache... start again.
I did this and Firefox became much more responsive.
The best things in life are free.

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 02:26:26 PM »
Thanks Tech,

meanwhile I have deactivated NoScript and all seems to be back to normal. I would guess that NoScript should really be saved for sites likely to be hacked or phished such as online banking.

windows 10 version 1809 (Build 17763.195) 64 bit home - ACER Aspire 17 SSD  Processor Pentium CPU N4200 @ 1.10 GHz. - HD graphics - 4GB RAM -

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 02:40:52 PM »
Thanks Tech,

meanwhile I have deactivated NoScript and all seems to be back to normal. I would guess that NoScript should really be saved for sites likely to be hacked or phished such as online banking.

Not really a good idea to deactivate NS..!
Btw, there's a new german section: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=24.0
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 03:21:27 PM »
thanks Asyn - not German but never mind. It is odd because evrything incl NS worked just fine until I srtated using that blog forum then it just started freezing up - is there even a conection?

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 11:05:17 PM »
With memory issues one could try: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/11922/

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 03:54:55 AM »
1. thanks Asyn - not German but never mind.
2. It is odd because evrything incl NS worked just fine until I srtated using that blog forum then it just started freezing up - is there even a conection?

1. No problem..! ;)
2. Is it only freezing on that forum or also later on..?
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Alan Baxter

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 07:38:18 AM »
thanks Asyn - not German but never mind. It is odd because evrything incl NS worked just fine until I srtated using that blog forum then it just started freezing up - is there even a conection?

I'm logged in to http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jeremywarner/100006459/have-bp-directors-hidden-their-assets/.  I'm not experiencing any slowdown.  Using
Firefox 3.6.4
NoScript 1.9.9.90 with default settings except I Allowed
telegraph.co.uk
disqus.com

It looks like your problems aren't caused by NoScript.  Hope this helps.

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 10:51:53 AM »
Go to the Privacy settings - Use custome settings and reduce the number of days History of your internet browsing is saved

And restart

See if there is any difference

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 12:59:38 PM »
Everyone - thanks very much

I have just been to this website http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/ambroseevans_pritchard/7836652/ECB-must-buy-hundred-of-billions-of-bonds-to-tame-Europes-debt-crisis.html with the said Disqus forum, which appears to slow the system.
NS is disabled and I have just restarted the computer, which seems to have speeded up - although the monet I go to that page (two tabs are open) the laptop starts "churning", so maybe it is nothing to do with NS.

I will look at all suggestions as soon as I have time.

Thanks again - til later.

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 02:56:57 PM »
I just returned, started my PC and  logged in again at that problematic site. Firefox did the decent thing and crashed, and restarted after sending out its usual crash report (which one assumes will be monitored somewhere). It seems to working as new!
NS is still deactivated.

Thanks folks.

Alan Baxter

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 03:22:14 PM »
I just returned, started my PC and  logged in again at that problematic site. Firefox did the decent thing and crashed, and restarted after sending out its usual crash report (which one assumes will be monitored somewhere). It seems to working as new!
NS is still deactivated.

Glad to hear Firefox is working better for you now.  Would you post the Report ID of the most recent crash report?  Get it as follows:
Enter about:crashes in the url bar to get the Submitted Crash Reports page.  Post the Report ID of your most recent crash here.  Don't post the whole report itself, just the ID, which consists of about twenty letters, digits, and dashes.  Thanks.

Alan Baxter

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 04:12:37 PM »
I have just been to this website http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/ambroseevans_pritchard/7836652/ECB-must-buy-hundred-of-billions-of-bonds-to-tame-Europes-debt-crisis.html with the said Disqus forum, which appears to slow the system.
NS is disabled and I have just restarted the computer, which seems to have speeded up - although the monet I go to that page (two tabs are open) the laptop starts "churning", so maybe it is nothing to do with NS.

My CPU gets pegged whenever I go to that page too.  I'm not surprised your laptop fans go nuts.  I've determined that it's caused by the BUSINESS BULLET Flash player.  If you add the following filter to Adblock Plus, the problem goes away.
Code: [Select]
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/template/utils/ooyala/telegraph_player.swf

Try it out and let me know if it works for you too.

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 04:19:15 PM »
Alan

I have just added that filter, and my system is still running smoothy. My conclusion at the moment is that Firefox sorted it out.

Yes - I will find that crash ID - it is in everyone's interest and you guys have been very helpful  :)

Alan Baxter

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 04:21:55 PM »
I have just added that filter, and my system is still running smoothy. My conclusion at the moment is that Firefox sorted it out.

Great news!  Thank you for letting me know.