Author Topic: Cloud Antivirus  (Read 10087 times)

A. Chung

Cloud Antivirus
« on: June 20, 2010, 08:44:43 AM »
My PC is running Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit), and has avast! Free Antivirus v5.0.545 installed.  The latter works efficiently and satisfactorily.

Is it appropriate to have a cloud antivirus, like Immunet Protect v2.0 or PCTools ThreatFire v4.7.0.17, working side by side with avast! Free Antivirus.  Significantly, a cloud antivirus does not rely on signatures to update.  Ideally, this may enhance avast! Free Antivirus with another layer of protection.

Any user's views?

Regards,
A. Chung

hayc59

Re: Cloud Antivirus
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 09:24:29 AM »
Its never good to have 2 anti-virus programs running along
side of one another...can cause major conflicts

SafeSurf

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 09:29:06 AM »
Hi A. Chung and welcome to the forum.  Everyone will have their own opinion, but I do believe in having layered protection.  If you start looking at people's signatures in this forum, you will see some of the layering I am referring to.

Regarding a cloud AV, I use PrevX w/SafeOnline with no conflict with avast (make them both trusted exclusions).  Additionally, you can also give yourself protection with on-demand scanners like MBAM or SAS, just to mention a few that most of us use.  You can also use some handy add-on's offered within your browser to exclude scripting, LSO's, adware, etc.

I might suggest doing a search on this forum re: immunet to see some feedback others have had with the combination of the two software.

I hope this helps, and welcome again.  :)

A. Chung

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 10:19:54 AM »
Hi, hayc59 and SafeSurf

Thank you for your prompt response.

I understand that it is not advisable to run 2 antivirus programs at the same time.  As highlighted by the publishers, both Immunet Protect and PCTools ThreatFire (freeware) are able to run side by side with an existing antivirus software, thus causing no conflict.

Actually, I do carry out on-demand scanning with MBAM and SAS.  As mentioned, I guess Prevx with SafeOnline is a paid version.

The cloud antivirus is just a matter of curiosity.

Once again, thanks for your expert advice.

Regards,
A. Chung

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 10:41:04 AM »
I understand that it is not advisable to run 2 antivirus programs at the same time.  As highlighted by the publishers, both Immunet Protect and PCTools ThreatFire (freeware) are able to run side by side with an existing antivirus software, thus causing no conflict.

You are correct in your research mentioned above, and you are quite welcome.  Feel free to come back and visit us again.  ;)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 10:44:21 AM »
An alternativ is  Hitman Pro 3 - Second Opinion Malware Scanner http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro

tsilo

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 10:46:46 AM »
ThreatFire isn't cloud AV, it's behavior blocker.. and it's possible to run it with any other AV.
Immunet Protect is really Cloud AV and it's also possible to run it with any other AV.
I think will be good avast! also develope cloud based technology..

EntitY

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 06:58:09 PM »
tsilo, I agree and hope Avast is thinking, Cloud-Tech. I would hate to see Avast left behind and people saying "Avast use to be good" like is the case with AVG and Spybot...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 07:30:57 PM »
For what? To stole the other antivirus technology? To promise more than you can deliver?
Cloud technology seems to be the beautiful girl of the antivirus world ;D
The best things in life are free.

EntitY

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 07:39:22 PM »
I have a strong hunch, that Cloud-Tech is the future of computing, so either jump on board or be left behind. JMO

Light Archangel

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 08:22:14 PM »
the problem with the cloud based technology is:

If a Malware cuts your Internet connection your AV is gone!!

I trust more in a Local Database of signatures IMHO...  ;D

EntitY

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 10:13:22 PM »
Light Archangel, that is not completely true with adding some Cloud-Tech, but I will let you research the truth for yourself...Computing is still in it's "extremely" early infant stage and has a long, long way to go. Cloud-Tech today is far from being where it will be down the road aways, so it's mainly a concept or idea being newly developed and before long, some young new geek's will come along to really kick it in and get it going...Again, JMO

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 10:20:49 PM »
Most malware need internet connection to do the work it was designed for ......

tsilo

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 10:28:20 PM »
the problem with the cloud based technology is:

I trust more in a Local Database of signatures IMHO...  ;D

It' not true, they work without Internet connection too..

tsilo

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 10:35:25 PM »
For what? To stole the other antivirus technology? To promise more than you can deliver?
Cloud technology seems to be the beautiful girl of the antivirus world ;D

Because not to be far from future..
avast! has anti-routkit, has BB, has heuristic... and you think it was alwil team who first developed such technologies in their product? or you think they stoled from other AV companies  these ideas?