Author Topic: is my computer safe enough?  (Read 9504 times)

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: is my computer safe enough?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 07:08:32 PM »
I agree with ardvark :)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 07:26:06 PM »
Hi folks,

I do not have much on this Vista laptop, that is my dear wife's, avast resident av protection, Super AntiSpyware on demand, Spywareblaster, ClearProg, Process Monitor, and in-browser protection for the browser I use on her computer flock: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.16) Gecko/2010010414 Firefox/3.0.16 Flock/2.5.6 ID:2010010414: NoScript, firekeeper, ghostery (for trackers), Fiddler, HTPS-everywhere, RequestPolicy, Inline Code Finder, Malware Search and WOT, and avast shields of-course,

polonus

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Dch48

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 05:30:01 AM »
New version notification in the GUI is in red for version 5.0.
Yes it is and that's the only thing I've ever seen. As I said though, I always update as soon as I see here in the forums that an update is available so maybe the reason why I've never seen a popup notification is because I never waited long enough. The two updates I have received so far (.545 and .594) both showed the notice in the GUI that an update was available so I just clicked on that and everything went perfectly. I've only been using Avast! since early May.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 05:37:51 AM by Dch48 »

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 12:35:44 PM »
Tech you mean Paranoid Mode not protection mode ;)
You're right. I'm not that used with CIS and Defense+ yet.

Don't worry about it Tech ;) you'll get used to it CIS and Defense+ is a whole new ball game with Sandbox ;) ;D together and it work very good in four combination Firewall, Defense+ and Sandbox along with your favourite AV Avast ;).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 12:39:15 PM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 01:24:16 PM »
Don't worry about it Tech ;) you'll get used to it CIS and Defense+ is a whole new ball game with Sandbox ;) ;D together and it work very good in four combination Firewall, Defense+ and Sandbox along with your favourite AV Avast ;).
Not really, I use avast Internet Suite (so, I use avast firewall) and can't use CIS at the same computer.
I used to use ThreatFire as a behavior blocker but, I disabled all other residents when I start to use Comodo Time Machine that will allow system restoration if some software (I test much...) do something wrong. But, indeed, I would like to see avast with this technology (called HIPS, Behavior analysis, cloud, whatever...).
The best things in life are free.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 03:18:50 PM »
I would like to see avast with this technology (called HIPS, Behavior analysis, cloud, whatever...).

I agree too ;) I'm not ready for Avast Internet Suite yet I rather way until next year because I would like to further improvement on the firewall I have nothing against Avast I'm not complaining, and I would really loved to see Avast moving towards HIPS, Behavior analysis, cloud, whatever...).

Tech can I ask you something how much improvement on Avast firewall and sandbox compare to Comodo and know they don't have HIPS, I'm not interesting in the Comodo AV as I always prefer Avast AV ;) ;D
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 04:00:34 PM »
avast (as any other legacy antivirus) has a "default allow" policy, checking the files (and memory, and so on...) against blacklists (of signatures, of behaviors...). It's a superb antivirus.
CIS is a suite with the "default deny" policy, checking the files (and memory, and so on...) against whitelists. It can achieve a huge protection level (specially to zero-day attach, unknown files). The antivirus needs (a lot of) improvement.

Dch48

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
I fervently hope that Avast! never starts using HIPS. All they need to do is strengthen the behavior shield and heuristics.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2010, 12:38:43 AM »
I fervently hope that Avast! never starts using HIPS.
Why not?
Will you bored with popups? Disable them...

All they need to do is strengthen the behavior shield and heuristics.
It's a completely different technology. One will block/deny (only whitelist), other is based on rules (blacklist).

Dch48

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 01:36:45 AM »
I fervently hope that Avast! never starts using HIPS.
Why not?
Will you bored with popups? Disable them...

All they need to do is strengthen the behavior shield and heuristics.
It's a completely different technology. One will block/deny (only whitelist), other is based on rules (blacklist).
I have no desire to be bombarded with alerts for perfectly safe and necessary actions being taken by safe applications. I'm aware that the technology is different between HIPS and a behavior shield/heuristics approach. I prefer the latter.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010, 03:31:26 AM »
I have no desire to be bombarded with alerts for perfectly safe and necessary actions being taken by safe applications.
In avast world, we always had a very large pathway to configure. avast was never a closed box. You will be able to set the protection level you want/need. Even UAC is receiving configurability in Windows 7... But, ok, just two diverged opinions.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
I have no desire to be bombarded with alerts for perfectly safe and necessary actions being taken by safe applications.
In avast world, we always had a very large pathway to configure. avast was never a closed box. You will be able to set the protection level you want/need. Even UAC is receiving configurability in Windows 7... But, ok, just two diverged opinions.
I agree avast is highly configurable :) and avast is also multi - optional ^^

Dch48

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 09:27:19 PM »
Never said it wasn't. I like the program the way it is and don't think it needs the addition of an intrusive and annoying technology like HIPS. Truth be told, I'm not a fan of sandboxing either.