Author Topic: No Avast! Toolbar in Outlook  (Read 5347 times)

Clay_Glenn

No Avast! Toolbar in Outlook
« on: June 09, 2010, 09:01:16 PM »
I am running Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP2 on an HP desktop computer with 4-core CPU and 4GB ram.  I have two user accounts on this computer: mine and my wife's.  I am running MS Outlook 2007 SP2 MSO.  I just reinstalled the entire OS from scratch, and applied all of the updates.  I am running AIS 5.0.545.

When I start Outlook in my user account, everything works fine (the Avast add-in starts and then the Avast toolbar shows up).  But when I go to my wife's user account and start up Outlook, the Avast add-in runs, but there is no Avast toolbar.  The mail is being sorted properly into the spam folder, but I have no toolbar buttons to indicate that an email is/isn't spam.

When I check Tools/Trust Center/Add-ins on my wife's Outlook, the Avast addin isn't there.  But when I click on the "Manage:" dropbox below and select "Exchange Client Extensions" and then "Go", it does show the "avast 5" entry in the Add-in Manager window, and it is selected (box is checked). 

I originally installed AIS before I wiped and reloaded Vista.  As I recall (not 100% sure), the Avast toolbar showed up correctly in Outlook under both my and my wife's user accounts.  It also works correctly on her laptop where I have it installed.  I have tried removing and reinstalling AIS, but got the same result.

Is this an application bug?  Or has it somehow "used up" its license because I reinstalled it on the same computer?  I have the license for three computers for two years.  It is mostly working on my wife's Outlook, but I think the "Spam/not Spam" buttons are pretty important.   AsOutExt.log file attached.

Any suggestions?

>>>> Clay >>>>

k.u.r.t

Re: No Avast! Toolbar in Outlook
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 01:45:25 PM »
Clay,
thank you for your valuable feedback. We are aware of this issue - I have fixed it in our private build. The next public version is due out in about 2 weeks time. If you do not want to wait however I can email you the internal dll for you to use in the meantime. Let me know. Cheers,

Clay_Glenn

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 04:14:56 PM »
Thank you for the quick reply.  I can wait a couple of weeks for the next update to release.  I am happy to know that this is a known issue that is being addressed, and not an installation issue on my end. 

Best regards,

>>>> Clay >>>>

GloobyGoob

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 01:52:54 AM »
Really next program update is in two weeks? hooray! :D
But I remember vlk saying at the end of august in another thread...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 02:12:23 AM »
Really next program update is in two weeks? hooray! :D
But I remember vlk saying at the end of august in another thread...

That I suspect what Vlk said isn't anything related to this, which will probably just be a build update to 5.0.545 and not what you are thinking,hoping for, e.g. 5.1.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

GloobyGoob

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 02:18:34 AM »
Oh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up David ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 03:16:36 AM »
You're welcome, I though that was a bit of wishful thinking on your part that it might be 5.1 ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

k.u.r.t

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 01:09:40 PM »
That I suspect what Vlk said isn't anything related to this, which will probably just be a build update to 5.0.545 and not what you are thinking,hoping for, e.g. 5.1.
as you say, the program update in 2 weeks time is a minor one. major program revision - 5.1 - is indeed coming out at the end of summer.

Clay_Glenn

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 06:19:02 PM »
The update was applied today and appears to have fixed the toolbar issue reported here.  Thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 06:26:56 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.