Author Topic: Howto: Make Avast! scan files sent over Windows Live Messenger?  (Read 6589 times)

Roley

Hi there, avast! users,

Recently on some of my last posts on the forum, I was talking about how my Avast! Real-Time Shields were encountering some errors. I was able to fix that issue, and now all of the Real-Time Shields are fully functional.

I checked out the IM Shield (which is running, thank goodness), and under its settings all of the Instant Messaging clients have their boxes checked, meaning all of the clients will use avast! when scanning incoming files.

However, when I checked my Windows Live Messenger Client Settings, under File Transfer, the program MSN selected to use to scan files when being transferred is Norton Anti-Virus. I removed Norton Anti-Virus a long time ago, so I know the destination path MSN selected is invalid.

My question is, how can I make Windows Live Messenger select the avast! Free Antivirus application to scan files? I already know the path for avast! (which is C:\\PROGRAM FILES\ALWIL SOFTWARE\AVAST5\), but which executable do I choose from the directory?

I hope you were able to understand my question (and thanks for reading it by the way :P), and I shall be waiting for a response.

Sincerely,

Roley

(Edited post; the image was removed a long while ago, so I removed the image code from this post}
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 12:42:11 AM by Roley »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Howto: Make Avast! scan files sent over Windows Live Messenger?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 03:29:48 AM »
ashQuick.exe (generally, without parameters).
The best things in life are free.

powerpack36

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 07:07:28 PM »
ashQuick.exe (generally, without parameters).

I have put this "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\ashQuick.exe" in scan using, however after receiving the file it does not show in Scan Log and no box pops up!
how do I know it is working?

Help! :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 07:54:25 PM »
1. Have you got the Show special scans in avast user interface, avastUI, Settings, Basic section ?

Als do you have the Automatically open the Scan Results when scan is finished ?
2. Have you got the Generate report file option checked in the Scan from Windows Explorer, Report file section ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

powerpack36

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 06:17:55 PM »
 :) David,
           Many thanks, found one box on windows explorer : 2. Have you got the Generate report file option checked in the Scan from Windows Explorer, Report file section ?
This was Unticked I have put that right but have not had the chance to try it yet.
Hopefully it will work ,I will let you know the outcome.
P.S. The page shot was a great help,but they were already ticked.

Many Thanks I will update you once I get chance to try it.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 06:19:33 PM by powerpack36 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 07:25:52 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

The screenshot was for my setup, and obviously I have these option selected.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

powerpack36

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 09:45:19 AM »
David,
      Back again,still no joy Scans not showing in the Scan Log,all other internal scans show.
Its only on messenger it is not showing.
Is the file Link Correct? I have tried pointing to quick Ash in Browse,it does put in the link but not showing as scanning.

:) Thanks Kevin

De Hollander

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 10:38:13 AM »
Just a hunch,  ashQuick.exe %1%

powerpack36

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 11:51:18 AM »
Thanks for the information,I am not an expert on this.
Any chance you can put the full link so I can copy it into Messenger?.

Kevin

De Hollander

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 12:39:26 PM »
Sure:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\ashQuick.exe %1

YoKenny

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 01:57:05 PM »
I keep getting a MBAM alert on this topic as the picture is hosted at a rogue site
Code: [Select]
http://puu.sh/2fg
IP-BLOCK 209.222.8.115 (Type: outgoing)

powerpack36

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 05:24:19 PM »
De Hollander,
             Many thanks I will give it a try.

;)

powerpack36

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 11:26:42 AM »
Sure:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\ashQuick.exe %1

Ok Tried that!, The scanning is slower  but no indication that it is Scanning. Scan log shows nothing.
Went back to C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\ashQuick.exe  scans quicker,it says on messenger scanning for viruses,but does not say what is scanning and again not in scan log.if the photos downloaded I can right click and scan it, it does it correctly throws up a box saying scanned no viruses etc.
Any body got any ideas, surely people are using Messenger with avast?.
Any help appreciated.

Roley

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 12:54:04 AM »
I keep getting a MBAM alert on this topic as the picture is hosted at a rogue site
Code: [Select]
http://puu.sh/2fg
IP-BLOCK 209.222.8.115 (Type: outgoing)

Sorry for the late response (quite late actually :P), but the site is absolutely safe. It hosts images and files uploaded by it's affiliating PC/Mac/iPhone program/app called puush. I've been using it for a while, and both avast! and MBAM reports no malicious content. You can read more about puush here.

The image screenshot source I uploaded from my original post here has been removed by me, hence why you can't see it. I don't know why MBAM is alerting you why puu.sh is rogue; it's a false positive. It could be because I removed the image (if you remove an image from puush, clicking the now-invalid link will re-direct you to the puush main page).

YoKenny

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 03:28:57 PM »
The image screenshot source I uploaded from my original post here has been removed by me, hence why you can't see it. I don't know why MBAM is alerting you why puu.sh is rogue; it's a false positive. It could be because I removed the image (if you remove an image from puush, clicking the now-invalid link will re-direct you to the puush main page).
It is still getting an MBAM alert on your image!