Author Topic: Forced to update Avast-Help  (Read 10509 times)

ckiwi

Forced to update Avast-Help
« on: July 09, 2010, 11:21:09 PM »
Hi
Guess the time has come that I MUST, download the new version of Avast. I am very afraid as reading posts, there is a lot of problems with the new Avast. Also a statement from DavidR on July 1/10 said,

"A lot of water has flowed under the bridge in the last few months of avast 5 after all it has only been out 5 months even now."

I am forced to change my Version 4.8, to 5, even thou it is still new to the Pro's? I did post before asking for help but I tried to stall. So.

I have Windows Visa Business, 32 ? Windows firewall and SuperAntiSp-free, and Malwarebytes-free. I have "aswclear5" and Setup_av_free saved to my desktop. "Don't no if I have 5 or the 5.0.594"? As things keep changing.

Is this correct:

Disconnect from the internet (would this be unhooking the cable and other wires from my modem?)
Uninstall through Add/remove. (Control Panel)
Boot in safe mode (restart my computer from the start menu?)
When everything is back on the desktop, I then run the Avast uninstall tool.
Restart my computer twice.
Clean computer (cache) would that be, deleting browsing history?
Install new Avast. (don't know which one I may have on the desktop)but run that one.
Reboot twice.
Attach to internet and update Avast.
Register, copy or add the license key for free Avast. (cant remember how to do that one)

Now, let me grab a coolly and start this scary thing. Of course, I will wait for a re-ply.

You get a "thank" now and the "you" after I am once safe again with smooth sailing. (I sure hope so) 

Anyways, Thank you

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Forced to update Avast-Help
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 11:54:34 PM »
It would depend where and when you downloaded the setup_av_free from as to what version you have. If you got it recently from this location, http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe then it is likely to be the latest version 5.0.594.

Even if it is 5.0.545 the previous version that was stable for the greatest majority of users and can be updated from the new installation.

You shouldn't have to clear the computer cache, but it won't hurt.
I also don't feel there is a need to reboot twice.

Registration - Using the avastUI (user interface) open it by left clicking on the avast icon, Maintenance section, Registration, and click the Register Now button. Complete the short form and that will handle the registration for you.

- Registration avast5:
How to register avast 5 free on page 8
http://files.avast.com/files/documentation/quick-start-guide-free-en-ww.pdf also see http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=459.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ckiwi

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 12:01:19 AM »
Thank you, here goes.

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 12:02:57 AM »
I have avast! V5 5.0.594 on my Windows 7 system and it works great.

You may want to update your PROFILE to remove your hotmail.com address.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 12:08:45 AM by YoKenny »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 12:22:30 AM »
Thank you, here goes.

You're welcome, happy installs ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 01:06:07 AM »
Right now, the 5.0.594 is very stable and working smoothly in a lot of computers.
The best things in life are free.

ckiwi

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 01:24:41 AM »
Have you been waiting for a answer. lol THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH, DavidR and the rest of the Avast people. I did make a mistake that scarred me but was my fault. I thought I would download the Avast 5 again, and get rid of the other in-case it was not the newest one. So, the newer Avast was put as a shortcut on my computer and I could not access it. So I reconneted to the internet and downloaded the Avast again. Talk about being out there naked. But all worked very well. Avast 5.0.594 is up and running and the registration was very easy. First, I kept closing out the registration process cause I thought I had to have the key numbers, lol. Went for it and so easy, didn't need to find the reg. key number. I did a Quick scan and nothing came up. yeah!!

I hope others will have the success I have just had. (hope so. lol) Thank you again, Avast team.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 01:34:37 AM »
You're welcome.

Now take some time to get used to avast 5, rummage round the User Interface (don't change any defaults settings until you are more familiar with it) and you will find it much easier to find things than in avast 4.8.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 03:26:24 AM »
Welcome to avast 5 :)
The best things in life are free.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 03:42:42 AM »
You're welcome.

Now take some time to get used to avast 5, rummage round the User Interface (don't change any defaults settings until you are more familiar with it) and you will find it much easier to find things than in avast 4.8.

???

Offline turitopa

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 05:04:23 AM »
Kia ora - Good you got it working Ckiwi!! (canadian Kiwi huh???)

I had some problems with some PC's (well 2).  I think the ones I had problems with were already malwared...
I have installed over the top of exsisting Avast 4.8 versions with no problems (with some of the later builds 545+). 
I did have issues with my proxy, but the use of a squid proxy is not that common for most home users...so there is no point elaborating on that.

chur ALL BLACKS tonight, its going to be a battle of epic proportions!
aere ra

ckiwi

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 12:47:33 AM »
No problems. All working well. Can I delete the Avast icon's from my desktop. And what YoKenny said about deleting my hotmail account on my profile? And thank you again.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 12:50:53 AM »
1. Can I delete the Avast icon's from my desktop.
2. And what YoKenny said about deleting my hotmail account on my profile?

1. Sure.
2. Go to your profile. Check: 'Hide email address from public?'
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

rocco

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 01:16:21 AM »
Right now, the 5.0.594 is very stable and working smoothly in a lot of computers.

Not mine. I have tried everything and it just will not start, I have run the previous version for years on 3 pc's without as much as a glitch, was forced to move to latest version and it is a nightmare!

Your comments would be appreciated
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 01:19:31 AM by rocco »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 01:23:02 AM »
Not mine. I have tried everything and it just will not start, I have run the previous version for years on 3 pc's without as much as a glitch, was forced to move to latest version and it is a nightmare!

Your comments would be appreciated

Which other security related programs are running on your system...?
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0