Author Topic: Can't get FTP apps to run with AIS5  (Read 2231 times)

ThisPlaceHere

Can't get FTP apps to run with AIS5
« on: July 12, 2010, 02:09:07 AM »
Since installing Avast Internet Security a couple weeks back, I cannot get any FTP program to function without disabling the firewall.
I've tried dos FTP and two third-party programs, and no setting seems to allow the programs to function. The forums here have a couple people posting similar problems, but there are no responses in the threads.
The programs are found in the firewall/applications tabs, and are set to all connections on all ports. The server I'm trying to reach is on the friends list of addresses as well.
In any of the programs, I can login, but beyond that they stop responding. The network connections shows the application on port 21 outgoing and listening on all ports incoming.

Help please.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Can't get FTP apps to run with AIS5
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 02:47:33 AM »
I use FileZilla without problems with AIS.
Which are your ftp programs?
The best things in life are free.

ThisPlaceHere

Re: Can't get FTP apps to run with AIS5
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 06:42:13 AM »
Dos FTP - logs in and accepts commands, but when you transfer a file or do a 'dir' the program stops responding.
FXP32 - my long time favorite for almost 15 years - stops after logging in - when it tries to list the directory.
LeapFTP - an old program I had sitting around. Stops at the same place - retrieving directory information.

If I stop the firewall, everything works fine.
My own guess is that port 21 is open, but when ftp starts using another port, things fail.