Author Topic: SMTP (minor) bugs with 5.0.594  (Read 2196 times)

Hermite15

SMTP (minor) bugs with 5.0.594
« on: July 15, 2010, 07:24:24 PM »
...sounds like I spoke too fast (in another thread where I said no bug in this build on my system... ;D )

I get the following message (screen shot) if I deactivate the scanning of outbound mails, whether I use 465ssl or 587tls in the mail shield proxy, with 587/no ssl  set in Thunderbird.
I know, why use the proxy if I don't want the mails scanned. Good point, I could just switch back to 587/TLS in Thunderbird and ignore the mail shield. But still, this shouldn't happen.
 Not even mentioning that Gmail/SMTP does require authentication (not secure), so the pop up doesn't make sense at all.

Another bug: if smtp is set normally in Thb (587/Starttls), and the mail shield is set to scan mails, which by definition is impossible, the client can't just ignore Avast and send the mail, you get the "second screen shot error"...+ the usual ssl warning (if checked in the options, so this one is of course normal).
 No big deal, these errors can be easily avoided, as I purposely mentioned here parallel configurations (Avast & Thunderbird) that don't make sense anyway. But the conflicts shouldn't happen ;)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 07:27:08 PM by Logos »

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re: SMTP (minor) bugs with 5.0.594
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 02:59:32 PM »
1) If you deactivate scanning of outbound mail, traffic is not redirected to the avast proxy. So you need to enable SSL/TLS in Thunderbird as Gmail requires it.

2) I thought I had fixed this but I definitely didn't. So hopefully in the next release ...

Hermite15

Re: SMTP (minor) bugs with 5.0.594
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 03:55:57 PM »
1) If you deactivate scanning of outbound mail, traffic is not redirected to the avast proxy. So you need to enable SSL/TLS in Thunderbird as Gmail requires it.

2) I thought I had fixed this but I definitely didn't. So hopefully in the next release ...

okay, thanks for the feedback ;) ...for issue #1 I indeed thought that the traffic still went through proxy. You're saying it doesn't, so there's no bug #1. For issue 2, no big deal, unless you want some mail accounts scanned and others not. That's not my case, just wanted to report a potential problem.