Author Topic: License key Invalid after several attempts  (Read 6624 times)

brandondudehill

License key Invalid after several attempts
« on: July 16, 2010, 09:45:52 AM »
Hi there. I have looked through a few similar threads to this, all people with my same problem and no help at all, just people explaining the registration steps over and over which obviously are not working. I don't mean to be rude but I don't see how no one has been able to figure this out, apparently it affects many.

I have received multiple keys, none of which work. There is no "error message" except the one that says the key is invalid.
 The online registration button (Register Now) says Retrieving Information, Please wait...   and then goes away and nothing happens. At all.

My computer time and date is correct. I am the administrator.

Please do not tell me to request a key sent to my email or press the registration button.
Thank you very much in advance to anyone that knows how to deal with this!

SafeSurf

Re: License key Invalid after several attempts
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 10:36:56 AM »
Have you purchased a license or are you getting a trial Key?  What product are you trying to get the Key for?

If you are using Avast 5.0 product, then the online registration is the easiest and it's the preferred method installed on a computer with standard Internet connectivity. To perform on-line registration, follow these steps:

FREE version:
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=459

PRO version:
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=475

You must be connected to the Internet at the time to do the online registration, which it sounds like you did.

After installing Avast > reboot > open the Avast GUI (main summary page) > there should be a Register Now button on the right side of the page > click on this button and you will be able to copy and paste your Key.  Is it after this where you are getting "Key Invalid?"

« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 11:30:50 AM by SafeSurf »

brandondudehill

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 11:07:32 AM »
I am using Avast Antivirus 5.0, and connected to the internet.

I tried the online registration many times and nothing happens.
 I also tried using the key that they sent me in my email, copy and pasting into the correct area, and getting an "invalid license" message.

I have already gotten a new license code and that did not work either, same message. I do not have any firewalls to my knowledge.

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 11:13:30 AM »
Which product are you using...AV FREE, Pro, AIS?

brandondudehill

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 11:30:47 AM »
Free.

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 11:37:26 AM »
Was this a new install of Avast and what version are you using?  Do you have any other security software on your machine including firewall (FW)?  What did you have for previous antivirus (AV)? 

brandondudehill

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 11:43:45 AM »
Was this a new install of Avast and what version are you using?  Do you have any other security software on your machine including firewall (FW)?  What did you have for previous antivirus (AV)? 

Yes it was a new install of AVAST FREE 5.0.

I had it before but the trial ran out, I uninstalled it, found out I had a bunch of malware and trojans, downloaded a ton of different programs which none of were actually "free", and if they were (adaware, malwarebytes) they didn't detect everything. StopZillla detected tons of infections but does not remove anything unless you have the paid version.

So I reinstalled avast after uninstalling everything else. Spyware Doctor is still installed but has not been running this whole time.

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 11:50:59 AM »
Please answer these questions:

1. Do you have Avast 5.0.594 installed now?

2. Do you still have MBAM (malwarebytes) on your machine)?

3. What is your firewall?

4. When you uninstalled the trial version, did you use the Avast Uninstall Utility Tool?

5. Does Avast seem to be working now other than not being able to register it?

brandondudehill

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 07:49:37 PM »
Please answer these questions:

1. Do you have Avast 5.0.594 installed now? Yes.

2. Do you still have MBAM (malwarebytes) on your machine)? Yes, and now also the latest version of AdAware.

3. What is your firewall? I do not have one to my knowledge.

4. When you uninstalled the trial version, did you use the Avast Uninstall Utility Tool? No.

5. Does Avast seem to be working now other than not being able to register it? It opens. It does not get rid of viruses.

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 08:25:22 PM »
Maybe I am the confused one but you don't need a key to register avast! FREE.

Just go to Maintenance/Subscription, fill in the appropriate blanks and you are registered.
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 08:34:53 PM »
Please do not tell me to request a key sent to my email or press the registration button.
What is the error message when you try that?
Is your system time and date correct?
The best things in life are free.