Author Topic: Free - Cannot update - Http 500  (Read 4551 times)

arshadparvez

Free - Cannot update - Http 500
« on: July 20, 2010, 06:24:00 AM »
AA;

I have Windows XP SP3. I have installed Free version of Avast as a home user. When I try to update (either definitions or the program) I get error:
Error: http server returned error 500

When all efforts are completed (all fails), then it finally displays:
Last encountered error: Cannot connect to download521.avast.com (67.228.112.195:80)

I have tried with my firewall disabled (and even exited) ... but with same result.

Please help

SafeSurf

Re: Free - Cannot update - Http 500
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 09:41:32 AM »
What other security software do you have on your machine...currently and previously?

What is your current firewall (FW)?  Did you check to see if it was blocking Avast?

What version of Avast do you have installed, and was this is upgrade or a clean/new install?  How long have you had this on your machine?

What is your OS, RAM, CPU, what browser do you use?  If you use add-on's, please list them.

Adam Riley

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 03:05:04 PM »
Hi,

Please try this:

Open avast
Click on Settings at the top right
Click on Updates
Scroll down and click on Proxy
Ensure automatically detect settings or direct connection is selected (unless you use a proxy of course)
Click OK

Now please try to update.

Best,
Adam

ihatetoro

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 08:14:18 PM »
Just wanted to extend a "THANK YOU" to Adam....I had the same problem. Followed your suggestion, and now fully updated.  Thank you, thank you.  This is the first time I have ever resolved ANY computer issue so quickly using a forum.  My confidence is being restored.

Cheers,
Heather

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 09:27:04 AM »
arshadparvez,

Please try this:
Open avast
Click on Settings at the top right
Click on Updates
Scroll down and click on Proxy
Ensure automatically detect settings or direct connection is selected (unless you use a proxy of course)
Click OK
Now please try to update.
Did this resolve your problem?

Ed K

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 09:57:28 PM »
Here I am again, back to same problem. 

I have crashed and have done a complete reinstall.  Back to same issue be complete crash.

I have an emachines about 4 years old.  It came with emachines restore disk which has gotten me back to operation but without security.

It came with McAfee security which is loaded upon reinstall.  But since it is 4 years old they want purchase before registration therefore is useless.  McAfee has special uninstall issues.  I followed their directions and downloaded their uninstall tool to be used after unistall from menu. 

The unistall from load/uninstall went o.k.  The unistall tool says it failed.  Their instuctions say record error log to text file and send.  When it says unistall failed you cannot save log.

Does Avast have tool to remove other peoples software that causes Avast to crash or hang up when updating.  Free install worked fine, but when I entered key for paid program it automatically went into upgrade mode and seemed to upgrade ok but after reboot hangs up and you have to go back to last good open file to get back up.

Any help appreciated.