Author Topic: Help! Can't move High threat to chest.  (Read 5297 times)

jworm

Help! Can't move High threat to chest.
« on: July 27, 2010, 01:47:27 PM »
Can anyone help? I have a HIGH threat come up: c:\ProgramFiles\OnlineServices\Dodo\Dodo.EXE   Threat:Win32"malware-gen  I tried to move it to the chest as suggest but I keep getting Error: Access is Denied (5)  I don't quite know how or what to do now?  Any advice would be fantastic.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Help! Can't move High threat to chest.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 01:56:25 PM »
I suggest:

1. Clean your temporary files.
2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. This will avoid the "access" error. If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.
3. Use MBAM (or SUPERantispyware or even Spyware Terminator) to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, it is better and safer to send the infected file(s) to quarantine (Chest), rather than simply deleting them.
4. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
5. Make a HijackThis log to post here or this analysis site. Or even submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
6. Clean your Hosts file (replacing it) with HostsMan tool.
7. Disable System Restore and then reenable it again.
8. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster.
9. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 04:55:48 PM »
The boot-time scan as suggested by Tech should be able to get round the access denied error.

Though a google search seems to indicate the detection is good, it wouldn't hurt to confirm the detection:
You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here the URL in the Address bar of the VT results page. You can't do this with the file securely in the chest, you need to extract it to a temporary (not original) location first, see below.

Create a folder called Suspect in the C:\ drive. Now exclude that folder in the File System Shield, Expert Settings, Exclusions, Add, type (or copy and paste) C:\Suspect\*
That will stop the File System Shield scanning any file you put in that folder.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

darth

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 01:07:37 AM »
#4, sugest adding "Avenger" a kennel level anti rootkit application.

jworm

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 08:55:11 AM »
Thanks everyone, I did the boot time scan and presto, could move it and found another threat.  Very, very thankful for your help.  Will remember that for the future. 

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 09:04:29 AM »
jworm,

Is your problem resolved now?  I suggest you rescan your machine to make sure you are clean?

jworm

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 09:21:26 AM »
I'm scanning now, and must admit getting a bit worried reading about everyone elses probs with this same Threat.  Will see soon I guess, fingers crossed.

jworm

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 09:28:15 AM »
Well so far so good.  Scan has just completed and NO THREATS FOUND!!!!!  I'm pretty sure I know where it came from, got a suspect email with just a web address, opened email but didn't go to web, perhaps that was it?  I do know that the email came from someone who was nowhere near his computer at the time, and normally doesn't just send a web add.  Not sure if that's the source but was my best guess?  Thanks once again everyone. 

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Help! Can't move High threat to chest.
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 09:42:09 AM »
If you feel that your issue is now resolved/fixed, please go back to the open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed.  Thank you.  ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 04:30:14 PM »
Thanks everyone, I did the boot time scan and presto, could move it and found another threat.  Very, very thankful for your help.  Will remember that for the future. 

No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security