Author Topic: How to boot time scan  (Read 3988 times)

tHEmIGHTYmANUEL

How to boot time scan
« on: July 28, 2010, 04:45:09 AM »
every where there is a button for schedule boot time it is grayed out
i am running avast home 4.8 on 64 bit windows vista

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Re: How to boot time scan
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 04:52:12 AM »
It's a longstanding limitation of 4.8 and 5.0 which is scheduled to be solved in 5.1.

"Boot-time scanner
Allows you to scan your computer for infections before the operating system has started and before a virus can be activated (32-bit operating systems only)."

There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Rponte

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 07:26:37 AM »
Do we know when that will be out, I am running Win7 64 and would really like to do a boot time scan.

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 09:16:27 AM »
I would suggest that you move from 4.0 to 5.0.594 (the latest and stable version) by doing a clean install.  In the meantime, the Boot-time scan will not be available until the next release, which we don't have a confirmed date but should announced some time in the upcoming few months...soon.

How to uninstall Avast and do a CLEAN install[/b]:

1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast (5.0.594) for the version you need and save it to your HD:
Freehttp://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.0 and 5.0).  I suggest you place it on your desktop.
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Uninstall Avast through "Add/Remove Programs" through Control Panel. 
5. Boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.
6. Reboot.
7. Clean your computer up (clean up cache, temporary Internet files, etc.).
8. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
9. Get Internet access and update Avast definitions.
10. Register your copy for Free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 04:58:29 PM »
Do we know when that will be out, I am running Win7 64 and would really like to do a boot time scan.

Avast 5.1 is the version where it is hoped that boot-time scanning will be introduced for 64bit OS versions, that estimated date for release is Sept/Oct, but I would also suggest you get on version 5 now and get used to it.

I would suggest that you monitor the forums as no doubt there will be a beta/pre-release version notified here first.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security