Author Topic: What's launching yaxyxu.dll ? And why?  (Read 3002 times)

dllou1

What's launching yaxyxu.dll ? And why?
« on: July 22, 2010, 11:39:15 PM »
Avast is detecting yaxyxu.dll in system32 as malware-gen.  It is detecting and moving this approx every 1.5 seconds, so it's bogging down the computer.  Avast says the process is lsass.exe sometimes and csrss.exe at other times.  I usually run spybot but have removed it after reading recommendations here today.  I have installed superantispyware and malwarebytes.  Superantispyware finds no problem at all, and malwareytes will not launch!  That's right, I have even installed it again, and mwb just flat won't launch on my pc.  The mwb help opens fine.  (I have run cclean also.)  Since mwb won't run, should I go ahead and runhijackthis?  or is there something known to cause this? 

This is normally a very clean PC.  It was idle for about 10 minutes when avast woke me up.  In lieu of the other options, should I stop avast and let this thing launch to see what it does, then go and clean it?  I'd obviously prefer not to do that and am surprised I can find no mention of this particular dll anyplace.  Is this a brand new rogue thing?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: What's launching yaxyxu.dll ? And why?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 11:55:03 PM »
Run a boot time scan with avast..! (32bit only)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 12:47:31 AM »
The file name yaxyxu.dll is a randomly generated name, so it isn't unusual not to find any information on it.

So if after it being moved, the yaxyxu.dll is back again (presumably the same or similar randomly generated name) in the system32 folder something else is on your system either hidden (probably by a rootkit) or undetected.

The fact that MBAM won't run would appear that there is something else also targeting security software. You could try using the MBAM from safe mode and see if that allows it to run. Or you could try renaming the mbam.exe file to my_mbam_file.exe (you can always change it back later) and see if this other malware is targeting just the executable file name.

When is this detected ?
Can you post the full detection text or attach a screenshot of the alert window.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jtaylor83

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 01:01:58 AM »
That file could be a Vundo/FakeAlert infection.

You can also try Hitman Pro - Second Opinion Malware Scanner.

How To Start Hitman Pro in Force Breach Mode

dllou1

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 03:44:06 PM »
avast boot time scan found a malware-gen problem in a file named i.dat buried in a Content.IE5 folder.  This was after I had run ccleaner -- and I don't even use IE - So no idea how that got there -- but that didn't clear my problem.  After reboot avast was still seeing the same problem and moving it to the chest constantly.

I then renamed mbam.exe to something else, and it started -- so yes, this thing was preventing mbam from starting.  mbam found a set of 3 Vundo problems.  After removing them, they reappeared and were detected by a subsequent mbam scan.  Rinse - Repeat.  Finally, after the fourth run with mbam and a reboot, avast no longer finds this strange dll .... and a new mbam scan comes up clean!! 

I have renamed mbam to its normal file name and it starts with no problem - so all appears to be well.

Thanks for all the suggestions and support.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 03:50:56 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Monitor the situation and if there is any suspect activity, it may be worth giving Hitman Pro a try.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security