What version of Avast are you using? If you are using 5.0, go under the GUI > Settings > Sounds > make sure all the boxes are checked off....this is the default for sounds.
When you did your scans, is there anything sitting in your Virus Chest...assuming you didn't change the default settings of Avast?
You may want to run an MBAM (Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware) scan as another opinion:
· Download free http://www.malwarebytes.org/
for an on-demand scanner.
· Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
· After install, click update
so you have latest database before scanning.
· Under Settings:
: Automatically Save File After Scan Completes is checked off
o Scanner Settings
: Check all boxes
: Download and install update if available is checked off
· Once the program has loaded, select "Perform FULL Scan", then click Scan.
· The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
· When the disinfection scan is complete, a log will appear in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note).
· Click the “remove selected
” button to quarantine
anything found. You will find the infection details under the Quarantine tab.
· The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
· Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply.
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts -- Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process; If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.
If you come out clean and you have a 32-bit machine, try doing a Boot-time scan with Avast.
Also, please list any other security software you have on your machine, both current and previous (and how you removed them). Thank you.