Author Topic: [Resolved] question re: update screens  (Read 2024 times)

circlingsky

[Resolved] question re: update screens
« on: July 30, 2010, 01:54:45 PM »
I have 2 computers side by side on my desk.  A six year old Sony with XP and a new Dell with W7 64 bit.  First of all, want to say that Avast 5.0.594 is doing a superb job!  Just have a question regarding updates.

I do manual updates a couple times a day.  (Maintenance tab - Update - Update engine and virus definitions.)  On the old XP, it goes through the download and "overall progress" bar, and once completed, I get the summary results, including the previous and updated versions info, total time, server, etc, and the option to click "ok", which then takes me to the final page with the current version, release date, number of definitions and last update attempt.  On the new machine, it skips that middle screen.  Or I should say, it pops up for barely a second, and it's as if "ok" is being clicked automatically, taking me to the last screen.  There's no way to read the details of the update and then manually clicking "ok" and move to the final screen.  It just flies past on its own.

Again, this is extremely minor, and if it continues like this, I have no problem with it.  Just wondering if there's anything I can do to keeping that OK button from jumping ahead without me :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 02:15:27 PM by circlingsky »

SafeSurf

Re: question re: update screens
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 09:49:08 AM »
What Avast product are you using (Free, Pro, AIS)?

Is there a reason why you want to do manual updates versus automatic updates?  Are you on a proxy?

If you have the settings for updates set for automatic (assuming you do not have a proxy), it will do it for you and you will see a green pop-up window when the update is complete and a woman's voice telling you the update has been complete.  If you want to see the detailed information regarding the update, you can go to the GUI > Maintenance. 

Most likely you are not seeing the information in the W7 is because you have a faster machine than the XP, but if you want to see the detailed update information, go to the Maintenance tab and you will see it there.  Also, on the Summary/Main page of the GUI everything should be in green showing you that all is OK.

I'm glad you you like 5.0.594.  :)

circlingsky

Re: question re: update screens
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 02:09:40 PM »
Thanks so much for your reply.  I'm currently using the free version, but considering an upgrade.  The reason I chose manual updates was so I would have control over the process, but I think I'll turn that over to Avast now.  It's consistently proven it can handle things just fine. :)

SafeSurf

[Resolved] question re: update screens
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 09:48:30 AM »
circlingsky,

Glad to hear everything is working out fine for you.  :)