Author Topic: XP Slower Shut Down WHY?  (Read 3602 times)

kanga2cool

XP Slower Shut Down WHY?
« on: July 05, 2003, 02:43:48 AM »
 :-\ First Thanks for the great program I only have one problem with it before I install Avast the shut down time was about 10 seconds now its 35-45 seconds so to check if it was the AV causing this I uninstall avast and all when back to normal 10 seconds to shut down.
I then put avast back on and the same shut down problem came back so my question is what wrong in avast to cause this and will it be fixed soon.
PS other friends using XP have the same problem with avast so its not only me.
Thanks for your time and help have a nice day.

techie101

Re:XP Slower Shut Down WHY?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2003, 05:10:50 AM »
Kanga,

Avast is not a simple program, nor is it just "one" program.
Avast is made up of the virus scanner, and 3 resident providers (scanners).  It does take a little longer to shut your system down, but only about 15 seconds more since your normal shut down was 10.

This is normal.  It is the same with my ME and XP.
Shut down time varies with the number of applications running at the time you command Windows to commence the shut down procedure.  Even if you did not have Avast running, but had a few other apps open, your shut down time would be longer than usual.

I am not aware of any anticipated change in future versions.

Good luck and thanks for using Avast!
 :D

kubecj

Re:XP Slower Shut Down WHY?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2003, 11:45:11 AM »
Kanga, can you check your eventlog for problems with user profiles? If there are any, can you post the list of 'resident' software, eg. some firewalls, schedulers, internet downloaders and such stuff?