Author Topic: end program/registry errors on shutdown  (Read 10561 times)

mcmnky

end program/registry errors on shutdown
« on: August 01, 2010, 05:14:25 AM »
Howdy,

I recently installed Internet Security 5 on my father-in-law's 2 ThinkPads (Windows XP Pro SP3, avast 5.0.594); this was an upgrade from avast 4.8.

He immediately started getting errors when shutting down or restarting Windows.  I saw the errors when rebooting during the avast install and asked him about them, thinking it was an existing issue.  It doesn't happen all the time, but does occur more often than not, and on both computers.

The most common scenario is getting the error "End Program - XCP" when shutting down, with a single button in the error dialogue "End Now".

There is also an error in the Event Viewer from the same time.  The description is, "Windows saved user [computer name]\[user name] registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off.  The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in user."  (Event Type: Warning, Event ID: 1517)

Sometimes the "End Program - XCP" error is accompanied by "DW20.EXE - DLL Initialization Failed".  (And the same warning in the Event Viewer.)

I've found a handful of threads reporting similar issues, but those all referred to earlier versions (4.6 or older).

Any one else seeing this with 5?  And any thoughts on possible remedies?

Thanks.

SafeSurf

Re: end program/registry errors on shutdown
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 06:05:39 AM »
I saw the errors when rebooting during the avast install
The Event Viewer for 1517 you are referring to is: http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1517&source=.

Since these errors starting to occur during the upgrade of Avast from 4.8 to 5.0.594, I suggest an uninstall and a CLEAN install to fix your problems:

1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast (5.0.594) for the version you need and save it to your HDD:
Freehttp://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
Pro  –  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe
AIS  –  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.0 and 5.0).  You will need to uninstall versions 4.0 and 5.0.
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Uninstall Avast through "Add/Remove Programs" through Control Panel. 
5. Boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.
6. Reboot twice (especially for XP).
7. Clean your computer up (clean up cache, temporary Internet files, etc.).
8. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
9. Get Internet access and update Avast definitions.
10. Register your copy or add the license key for Free, Pro or AIS.
11. Reset your settings, if needed.

Please let us know how this works for you in your next post.

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 01:41:24 PM »
Have you installed User Profile Hive Cleanup Service?
Overview
The User Profile Hive Cleanup service helps to ensure user sessions are completely terminated when a user logs off. System processes and applications occasionally maintain connections to registry keys in the user profile after a user logs off. In those cases the user session is prevented from completely ending. This can result in problems when using Roaming User Profiles in a server environment or when using locked profiles as implemented through the Shared Computer Toolkit for Windows XP.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b286e6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&displaylang=en

mcmnky

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 03:47:31 PM »
Thanks.

I'll take a shot at the clean install tonight.  (5 was installed over 4.8 )

I'm also looking in to the Hive Cleanup Service.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 04:11:11 PM »
Delete the XCP, it is a Sony Rootkit

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 10:38:15 PM »
Google reference ???

Somehow I don't trust someone from the Netherlands that his site refuses to load and does not show his country in his profile: ???
HiLoA (HijackThis Log File Analyzer) - Malware Removal Instructions - Free Software - And much more

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 10:48:37 PM »
Well I would have thought that for the length of time Eddy has been around these forums that you would somehow have remembered his previous activity.

The site opens OK for me.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 10:52:45 PM »
Not for me ???

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 12:18:03 AM »
You should use a good browser like firefox ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 12:47:59 PM »
You should use a good browser like firefox ;D
Same results with Chrome and that is a good browser  ;)

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 01:47:35 PM »
Well I would have thought that for the length of time Eddy has been around these forums that you would somehow have remembered his previous activity.

Here is what I get in both FF and IE.
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

mcmnky

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 07:45:14 AM »
Since these errors starting to occur during the upgrade of Avast from 4.8 to 5.0.594, I suggest an uninstall and a CLEAN install to fix your problems:

SafeSurf,

That did the trick.  I uninstalled/reinstalled, but only has to run the avast clean utility for 5.0, not the 4.8.  (There was no avast 4 folder under C:\Program Files\Alwil Software)  Both computers shut down/reboot without error.

Thanks!

No signs for the Sony rootkit.  (Looked for the tell-tale files, services, registry entries.)  Google returns a few things that could be XCP.  Thanks for the suggestions though!

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 08:01:49 AM »
I'm glad the uninstall and clean install worked for you.  I'd like you to try one more thing.  Do you have MBAM on your machine?

SafeSurf

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 08:04:55 AM »
Or have you run scans with Avast yet?  Full or a Boot-time?  Clean?

SafeSurf

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 08:16:22 AM »
Just to be sure you are clean of malware:

Check your computer for malware with Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (MBAM).
·   Download free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ for an on-demand scanner.
·   Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
·   After install, click update so you have latest database before scanning.
·   Under Settings:
o   General: Automatically Save File After Scan Completes is checked off
o   Scanner SettingsCheck all boxes
o   Updater: Download and install update if available is checked off
·   Once the program has loaded, select "Perform FULL Scan", then click Scan.
·   The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
·   When the disinfection scan is complete, a log will appear in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note).
·   Click the “remove selected” button to quarantine anything found.  You will find the infection details under the Quarantine tab.
·   The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
·   Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply.

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts -- Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process; If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.