Author Topic: Windows cannot boot after boot scan [Resolved]  (Read 4844 times)

Don H

Windows cannot boot after boot scan [Resolved]
« on: August 07, 2010, 11:49:51 PM »
OK, so I wasn't very happy w/ Avast! 5 at first but w/ help here I now know how to do a memory scan. I'm NOT particularly happy that it claims Spybot's Teatimer is infected w/ JS:ScriptSH-inf(Trj) and everyone seems to just "assume" it/they are false positives... but on with the show:

per the title EVERY TIME avast 5 does a boot scan it first puts me to sleep then puts this Compaq C7700US (laptop) to sleep. And then when I use the chinzy mouse-pad to wake-up the machine, I get a flash message too fast to read saying something to the effect "boot ... was not successful" followed by black-screen which not even Ctl-Alt-Del affects.
  The only thing that does anything at all is to hold-down the power button for 1 minute or so which forces the machine off. Then when I power-up again I get the standard "Windows Did Not Shut Down Safely" complaint, my screen resolution is reset to minimum (I use an external screen and wireless keyboard+mouse) and my icons are TOTAL mishmash (as always happens when screen resolution is reset to minimum).
  I don't doubt that windoz (Vista home premium) is at fault but please fix avast to not trigger that terrible behavior.

thanks

Don H

endend
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 04:55:43 AM by Don H »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Windows cannot boot after boot scan
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 07:56:45 AM »
I haven't tried having Spybot installed since updating to Avast 5, but have read a few reports of it- especially the Teatimer - conflicting with Avast.
Since MBAM is at least as good a scanner (probably much better, in fact) I'm quite happy just to use that.

Why did you do a boot scan? Was malware detected that couldn't be removed?
That would normally be the only reason for performing one.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

CharleyO

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 06:23:15 PM »

I had Spybot with Teatimer active when I updated from 4.8 to 5.0 and have had absolutely no problems between avast! 5 and Spybot/Teatimer.

Have you tried a repair of avast? If that does not fix the problem, try a reinstall of avast. Still no luck? Try uninstalling Spybot and then reinstalling it.

Don H

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 06:35:13 PM »
I haven't tried having Spybot installed since updating to Avast 5, but have read a few reports of it- especially the Teatimer - conflicting with Avast.
Since MBAM is at least as good a scanner (probably much better, in fact) I'm quite happy just to use that.

Why did you do a boot scan? Was malware detected that couldn't be removed?
That would normally be the only reason for performing one.

(1) I just DL'd MBAM-free but then discovered it is scan-only. I LIKE teatimer guarding me in real time. I dunno if I'll install MBAM now. (I particularly didn't like the TrialPay solicitation ... which is known to distribute/employ malware-droppers by some clients!)

(2) Bootscan is much faster and I can start it and forget it until Windows beeps me.  (Avast 4.x)
-and I can (could!) then review the avast report logs in relaxation.
In more particular a bootscan is more reliable detecting malware before loaded. (I used to write TSRs. It's EASY to hide within an Operating System. I'm not convinced that that isn't what's happening NOW!)

endend

Don H

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 07:23:12 PM »

I had Spybot with Teatimer active when I updated from 4.8 to 5.0 and have had absolutely no problems between avast! 5 and Spybot/Teatimer.

Have you tried a repair of avast? If that does not fix the problem, try a reinstall of avast. Still no luck? Try uninstalling Spybot and then reinstalling it.

thank for the info. So it is probably something specific about my setup instead of a general problem.
(I really liked the 4.x default interface though; I guess I'll get used to 5.x eventually ... )

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
There is nothing wrong with the free on-demand version of MBAM, you only need it as a back-up to avasts integrated anti-spyware.

So you don't have to pay for it or use trial pay, etc. etc. Though if you feel that you want resident protection it is a one off payment, but it isn't essential.

If you browse these forums you will also see a number relates to conflicts with spybot's teatimer and avast5.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 09:33:49 PM »
If you browse these forums you will also see a number relates to conflicts with spybot's teatimer and avast5.
Spybot S&D has not kept up with the times  :-[

MBAM is way better and works well with avast!

Plus avast! V5 is GREAT 8)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 09:36:02 PM by YoKenny »

Don H

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 08:49:56 AM »
OK, so I wasn't very happy w/ Avast! 5 at first but w/ help here I now know how to do a memory scan. I'm NOT particularly happy that it claims Spybot's Teatimer is infected w/ JS:ScriptSH-inf(Trj) and everyone seems to just "assume" it/they are false positives... but on with the show:

per the title EVERY TIME avast 5 does a boot scan it first puts me to sleep then puts this Compaq C7700US (laptop) to sleep. And then when I use the chinzy mouse-pad to wake-up the machine, I get a flash message too fast to read saying something to the effect "boot ... was not successful" followed by black-screen which not even Ctl-Alt-Del affects.
  The only thing that does anything at all is to hold-down the power button for 1 minute or so which forces the machine off. Then when I power-up again I get the standard "Windows Did Not Shut Down Safely" complaint, my screen resolution is reset to minimum (I use an external screen and wireless keyboard+mouse) and my icons are TOTAL mishmash (as always happens when screen resolution is reset to minimum).
  I don't doubt that windoz (Vista home premium) is at fault but please fix avast to not trigger that terrible behavior.

thanks

Don H

endend

Update(s):

0) The problem persists: Avast5 complains of "JS:ScriptSH-inf [Trj]" in 3 different memory locations associated with Spybot's Teatimer.
1) Memory Scan is not a normal Avast 5 option, as I think I mentioned in my first post.
I wonder if people insisting they have no teatimer problem, are simply not doing memory scans?
2) I find no way to "repair" my Avast 5 installation, as was suggested.
If I activate Ctrl Panel "Uninstall or Change", "repair" is not listed there. Requesting "Update" tells me I am "already completely up-to-date."
Nor can I find any selection or option in Avast itself to "repair"
3) I just realized apparently Avast 5 cannot be unloaded or disabled. This makes me VERY uncomfortable. "1984 Big Brother" software now?
What if I get a garbled update? Or is Big Brother supposedly watching that too??
Or suppose another program damages it. -I could write software to do that. And virus-writers are 1000 times better than me.
4) If I unload the resident portion of Spybot, the memory scan is clean.
If I scan the Spybot program files folder, that too is clean.
This tells me Spybot and Avast 5 are not communicating well: That Avast 5 is treating what should be considered "data" as "Executable."
5) How do I revert to Avast 4.8 ?
I DON'T LIKE the big-brother concept. Nor do I like a program that treats data in another AV pgm as executable code.
6) re: other posts: I also have found some of the "sxe417.tmp" files. None of the scanners seem to care though, so why should I?
7) (And just to be picky:) The new Avast "Voice" is liable to get me in big trouble if my girlfriend is talking to me on the phone when it announces itself.

No one has addressed it and I have not done a boot-scan recently because it is such a pita to rearrange my 100+ desktop icons after Windoz crashes.
I guess I'll just have to try it to see if avast 5 boot-scan has been fixed, or still trashes Windows as part of the boot-scan.

-

CharleyO

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 09:09:30 AM »

Hi Don -

2) If you click on "Change," then you will see the "Repair" option.
After all, a repair is a change to the program.

7) If your gf gets upset from the avast voice, then you need a new gf.
Alternately, you could use the sounds from V4.8 instead.

Did you try any of the suggestions I gave above?

Don H

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 04:42:21 AM »

Hi Don -

2) If you click on "Change," then you will see the "Repair" option.
After all, a repair is a change to the program.

7) If your gf gets upset from the avast voice, then you need a new gf.
Alternately, you could use the sounds from V4.8 instead.

Did you try any of the suggestions I gave above?

boy was (2) a bear to find; not Avast, but Windoz/Ctrl Panel/Programs & Features/Avast 5

(7) (her response) "does he have one you can borrow"

Sounds: Only 1 of them is directly applicable, and per warnings elsewhere here when "Permissions" became an issue I used Safe Mode to reinstall the old "update" sound. (George Orwell's "Big Brother" again.(

Other Suggestions: Yes / No /no /no
Unless something becomes unusable or mal I'm not going to reinstall and likely multiply the original problem and pollute the H out of Registry in the process. Nero 6.6 did that ... 6 bad entries in each of HUNDREDS of registry keys because it kept re-referencing the same drive, which no longer existed in a form that Nero could use.

Boot-Scan:
Resolved: Kinda. By disabling all auto-functions, eg. Screen Saver, Monitor saver, Power saver --- I found that windoz can successfully load after a boot-scan. It takes several minutes however because Avast does completely put the machine to sleep whether I have sleep "enabled" --- or not.

Spybot accusations:
Resolved: I discovered there are (at least) 2 different Avast memory-scan "types". The other of which does NOT accuse Spybot of containing malcode. Presumably the one I had used is SUPPOSED to scan data segments.-/ Not a bug, an "undocumented feature";-\

FYI / FWIW w/ all the other Avast 5 complaints I took a look at some AVG users ... which I dumped back when they discontinued 7.5 for the resource-hog 8.0.  Those folks ... even worse problems w/ Big Brother-ism --- +AVG continues to seize all resources on occasion for no perceptible reason making the machine totally useless.

I would say "well at least they (the machines) aren't sending us out for coffee" ... But my Epson Stylus All-In-One Printer does exactly that when it "decides" -- 3 times in one day once -- that it "needs" a new ink cartridge and refuses to budge ... despite that 3 of the 4 cartridges still contain plenty of ink. Oh for my old DOS 2.0 and a matrix printer.

endend